Motorcycle, ATV, UTV, and Mountain Bike Permits

Mark Twain National Forest restricts riding of ATVs, UTV's and motorcycles on national forest land to open, numbered roads (if ridden in compliance with state law) and designated motorized trails. State law prohibits riding ATVs and UTV's on public roads, except with a county permit, or other exceptions. There are  two designated motorized trail systems on the forest – Chadwick Motorcycle and ATV Trail System in Christian County, and Sutton Bluff Motorcycle and ATV Trail System in Reynolds County (near the Sutton Bluff Campground). The Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act authorizes collecting and retaining fees for specialized trail systems to improve maintenance and better serve the customers. Anyone riding an ATV, UTV, motorcycle, or mountain bike on these trails is required to purchase and display a current annual ATV/UTV/motorcycle or mountain bike sticker or daily use tag. All ATVs and UTVs must be under 50" in width.

Annual stickers sell for $45 for ATVs, UTVs, and motorcycles, and $20 for mountain bikes. Daily tags sell for $7/day for ATVs, UTVs and motorcycles, and $3/day for mountain bikes. These tags are available at Forest Service offices in Salem, Ava, and Rolla, and through the following private businesses: Kay’s Country Store in Chadwick, Casey's General Store in Sparta, and Reynolds County 911 office in Centerville. The extended hours that these businesses have makes it convenient for customers to purchase permits and passes near the trail systems. For information and instructions on purchasing Forest Service permits click here. For a OHV registration by mail click here for the registration form.