As the revision process develops, maps and associated data will be available on this page for viewing and downloading in various formats. Please continue to check back as the revision process proceeds.
Some of the maps below are large PDF files, they take considerable time to open.
- Locator Map (pdf) - displays the Clearwater and Nez Perce Forests and some of the near by communities
- Clearwater Geographic Areas (171 kb pdf)
- Nez Perce Geographic Areas (187 kb pdf)
Four categories of timber suitability exist:
*Generally suitable for timber production, where timber production is a management objective. (Other resource objectives will likely shape timber harvest in these areas.)
*Generally suitable for timber harvest, where timber harvest is compatible as a tool to achieve desired conditions;
*Generally suitable for timber harvest, where timber harvest is not compatible as a tool to achieve desired conditions.
*Generally unsuitable, where timber production is generally incompatible with desired conditions and objectives. These lands include proclaimed wilderness, research natural areas, landslide prone areas and lands not capable of supporting forest cover.
June 2006 revisions -The 'Generally suitable for timber harvest' category is now divided into 2 categories.. Recommended Wilderness, Pilot Knob, East Meadow Cr Roadless Area and Rapid River watershed are now generally suitable for harvest, but the deciding official has determined that timber harvest is not compatible as a tool to achieve desired conditions.
- Timber Suitability Determinations (June 06)
- Clearwater Timber Suitability Map Index (June 06)
- Nez Perce Timber Suitability Map Index (June 06)
Areas Under Consideration for Recommendation as Wilderness (Draft Roadless Inventory)
As part of the forest plan revision process, roadless areas have been reviewed and revised. These are draft estimates and subject to change.
- Current Clearwater roadless (National Roadless Site 2000) 387kb pdf
- Current Nez Perce roadless (National Roadless Site 2000) 799 kb pdf
January 2006 Proposal - As a result of public input, internal review by forest personnel, and further analysis by the revision team using the Region 1 Roadless Area Inventory Protocol, edits to the July 9, 2005 Draft Roadless Area Inventory maps have been completed. The primary edits are: Adding the Eldorado roadless area back into the inventory and splitting the Little Slate Creek roadless area into two separate roadless areas. Other minor boundary changes were also made.
- Proposed Clearwater roadless (January 2006) 215 kb pdf
- Proposed Nez Perce roadless (January 2006) 332 kb pdf
- Comparison of current and proposed acres by roadless area (January 2006)
- Compressed (zipfile) of GIS Arc Info roadless area shapefile (January 2006) 631 kb zip
Roadless Area Draft Suitable Uses (October 2006)
You can click on areas on these maps for more
- Roadless Area Suitable Use Table (October 06)
- Clearwater Roadless Area Suitable Uses Map Index (October 06)
- Nez Perce Roadless Area Suitable Uses Map Index (Octoberl 06)
Wild, Scenic and Recreational Rivers
February 2006 - The table and map display the draft "potential" classification.
- Zone Table of Segments and Mileages (14 kb pdf)
- Clearwater Wild and Scenic map (225 kb pdf)
- Nez Perce Wild and Scenic map (218 kb pdf)