Update: For public safety Wash Creek Road now closed to motor vehicle traffic
PISGAH FOREST, N.C., March 27, 2014 – The U.S. Forest Service has closed trails and roads in the Trace Ridge and Wash Creek areas of Henderson County in the Pisgah Ranger District, Pisgah National Forest, to ensure public safety. The closures are necessary to implement the Brushy Ridge project, an ecosystem improve project that will provide a number of environmental benefits.
One recent change addition to the closure is Wash Creek Road. It will now be closed to motor vehicle traffic to protect public safety and facilitate implementation of the project. It remains open to non-motorized use with caution advised for logging truck traffic on the road. The Forest Service will re-open Wash Creek Road once the timber harvesting and hauling are complete. Although it is challenging to predict, the project may continue into the Fall.
While Wash Creek Road is closed to motor vehicle traffic only the following trails and roads are closed to all use:
- Seniard Mountain Road (FS 5001);
- Bear Branch Trail (Trail 328);
- Hendersonville Reservoir Road (FS 142);
- Fletcher Creek Road (FS 5097), to intersection with Spencer Gap Trail (Trail 600);
- Wash Creek (Trail 606);
- Trace Ridge (Trail 354);
- North Mills River (Trail 353) and
- Yellow Gap Trail (Trail 611).
For all listed areas, any access or use is prohibited, and Law Enforcement will actively patrol the area. Trace Ridge Trailhead is not accessible, and the use of the trails and roads is prohibited. There will be no access to the North Mills River within the closed areas listed above.
Alerts & Warnings
- 12/2 Hurricane Ridge Fire Update- Appalachian RD
- 12/1 Hurricane Ridge Fire Update- Appalachian RD
- 11/30 Hurricane Ridge Fire Update- Appalachia RD
- 11/29 Appalachian RD- Hurricane Ridge Fire
- Uwharrie RD- Canebrake Horse Camp Temporary Closure
- Grandfather Ranger District Reopens Point Lookout Trail and Schoolhouse Ridge Rd
- Appalachian RD: Black Mountain and Briar Bottom Campground Closures
- Cheoah RD: Fontana Loop Trail TR15, Portions of Bee Cove TR421 Temporarily Close
- Be Bear Aware
- Catawba Falls Trail (TR 225) Closed
- Camping and other restrictions now in effect at Max Patch
- Nantahala RD: Multiple areas under construction
- Appalachian RD: NCDOT construction near Harmon Den may affect Forest access
- Grandfather RD: Old House Gap Rd (FS192) temporarily closed
- Recreate responsibly
- Target Shooting prohibited on Croatan National Forest