Information For Outfitters and Guides

Recreation Passes


The Forest Service offers many activities such as hiking, biking, skiing, camping, birding, using cabins, driving for pleasure, harvesting mushrooms, and gathering firewood. Many of the facilities and services associated with these opportunities are free. Some do require fees or permits to help maintain, manage and improve the amenities that you enjoy.

For more information on Interagency Recreation Passes, please click here.  Visit your local Forest Service office to purchase a recreation pass.


Recreation Permits


Permits are issued for recreation uses that serve the public, promote health and safety, and protect the environment. Please see the column to the right for lists of Outfitters & Guides on the National Forests in North Carolina.


Information for Outfitters and Guides

Required Documentation for  Outfitters and Guides

For Existing Outfitter and Guide Permittees

Information for Residential and Day Camps

For assistance in completing your application and other required documentation.

  • Pisgah National Forest,  Appalachian, Grandfather and Pisgah Ranger Districts
    Linda Randolph or Darlene Huntsinger
    Email: or
    Or call 828-682-6146 extension 111
  • Nantahala National Forest, Nantahala Ranger District
    Doris Doster: email
    Or call 828-524-6441 extension 415
  • Nantahala National Forest, Cheoah and Tusquitee Ranger Districts
    Julie Moore: email
    Or call 828-837-5152 extension 117
  • Uwharrie and Croatan National Forest
    Don Simon:
    Or call 910-576-6391 extension 118

Below is a link to our National website for Special Uses.

Applications for Outfitting and Guiding, Recreation Events and Non Commercial Uses can be found at

NOTE: SF-299 form is the form to use for Outfitting and Guiding