Special Uses

The Forest Service manages lands to meet the demand for a variety of uses that benefit the public and protect the resources for future generations. A special use permit, or authorization, is one tool to regulate use in a way that supports national policy and federal laws.

Each year, the Forest Service receives thousands of individual and business applications to use National Forest System lands for such activities as water transmission, agriculture, outfitting and guiding, recreation, group gatherings, research, photography, and granting road and utility rights-of-ways. The Forest Service carefully reviews each application to determine how the request affects the public's use of the land. Normally, land is not made available if the overall needs of the individual or business can be met on non-federal lands.

Generally applications for Recreation Residences, Outfitting and Guiding, Special Events and non-commercial Group Check here for timeline information for outfitting/guide and recreation events.

Applications for road building and maintenance, powerlines, reservoirs, research permits, and commercial filiming and photography are handled by the Lands and Realty Staff.

The Application Process: National information on how to obtain a special use authorization with the National Forests and Grasslands.

Forms: Prior to starting an application, please contact the local Forest Service office to ensure the correct information is provided. Some applications are unique to individual districts.