Crime Prevention

When visiting Olympic National Forest it's a good idea to protect your valuables. Following these guidelines can reduce your vulnerbaility and prevent crimes:

  • Know how to contact law enforcement and other emergency services.
  • Be observant. Watch for people or vehicles that appear suspicious. 
  • Report suspicious activity.
  • Take precautionary measures. 

Report Suspicious Activity 

Law Enforcement Contacts

  • 911 (Always call 911 in the case of an emergency)
  • Mason County Sheriff's Office:  360-427-9670
  • Gray's Harbor Sheriff's Office:  360-249-3711
  • Jefferson County Sheriff's Office:  360-385-3831
  • Clallam County Sheriff's Office:  360-417-2262
  • Washington State Patrol:  360-478-4646
  • Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife 877-933-9847


Break-ins are a risk, especially when vehicles are left unattended. Follow these simple guidelines to help protect your vehicle and your belongings:

  • Lock valuables in the trunk or where they can not be seen. 
  • Lock your vehicle; do not hide keys on or near the vehicle. 
  • Take note of other vehicles in the area; write down license plate numbers and descriptions of vehicles that appear suspicious. 
  • Report suspicious activity to the local law enforcement agency or Forest Service personnel.

Criminal Activity

Illegal activity may occur at Olympic National Forest. For example, the presence of pipes or hoses may indicate an active marijuana garden. If you come across suspicious activity:

  • Remember, your safety comes first!  Take immediate action to stay safe.
  • Never approach or confront the individuals.  
  • Leave the area immediately along the same route you entered. 
  • Be aware of your surroundings. Watch out for potentially dangerous devices or harmful materials. Avoid contact with suspicious packages or equipment. 
  • When you are safely away from the scene, write a detailed description of the activities, area, people, and vehicles. 
  • Immediately report the criminal activity to local law enforcement or Forest Service personnel. 


  • Follow Us on Twitter Link opens in a new window