Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue. On-going operational updates will be posted here (https://www.fs.fed.us/shutdown) as we are able to provide them.


Frequently Asked Questions (MVUM)

How do I print the MVUM?

The Olympic National Forest MVUM can be printed on 8 ½" x 11" paper using home printers. With Adobe Acrobat, you can print either the whole atlas by using the “Print All” function or use the “Pages” function to print the pages you need. The Coversheet, Purpose and Content, Seasonal and Special Vehicle Designation Table, Dispersed Camping Table; and Map Index pages must printed along with the township and range index map you are traveling to, if you are printing just a certain map page.

What does a MVUM show me?

All National Forest System roads, trails and designated areas allowing public motor vehicle use.

  • Motorized use includes but is not limited to motorcycles and any highway-legal vehicles both 2 and 4-wheel drive vehicles.
  • Designation details, including vehicle class, time of year, and any motorized access for the purpose of dispersed camping (camping in locations other than campgrounds).
  • Roads where only highway-legal vehicles are allowed due to safety considerations.

Motor vehicle access may occur on routes not shown on the MVUM for the purpose of limited administrative access by Forest Service personnel; for fire and law enforcement for emergency purposes and; by persons authorized by a written special use permit or contract from the Forest Service.

Does the MVUM also show mechanized and non-motorized trails and over-snow vehicle uses?

No, a visitor use map or recreation opportunity map will provide information on motorized routes as well as non-motorized routes, including mechanized trails, hiking, and horse trails. Over-snow vehicle use is exempted from designations on the MVUM. These maps, once developed, will be available for purchase at FS offices.

What do you mean by vehicle class?

Vehicle class refers to certain categories of motorized vehicles. The following are typical vehicle class route designations:

  • Roads open to highway legal vehicles only (licensed)
  • Trails open to motorcycles only (single track)

It's important to understand that routes and areas shown open to certain vehicle classes do not mean they are maintained for or suitable for travel using those vehicles. It simply means it is legal to use them. For example, many low standard roads may be open to all motor vehicles. This designation includes passenger cars, although it may not be prudent to drive this type of vehicle on the route due to the condition of the surface or during inclement weather. Please check with the local Ranger District Offices for more information. Phone numbers, addresses and email addresses are at Olympic National Forest Contact Information.

What are the rules for dispersed camping?

The Forest has developed special requirements for dispersed camping. They are available at the MVUM distribution sites and on the District MVUM webpage.

The following is an excerpt from the MVUM Production Guide:

… dispersed camping are allowed by the Rule (36CFR212.52) but are conditioned by the language in the Rule which states, “…the responsible official may include within the designation the limited use of motor vehicles within a specified distance from certain designated routes, and if appropriate within certain specified time periods, solely for the purposes of dispersed camping…

… The travel plan direction needs to be consistent with the above narrow range of situations for travel off the designated routes. Travel off designated routes may be authorized by other means than by being designated on the MVUM, including permitting, administrative use, law enforcement, etc (see 36CFR212.51) these are covered elsewhere in the Rule

What do you mean by a season allowance?

Some routes or areas may be open only during certain times of the year for various reasons such as to reduce wildlife disturbance, protect users from unsafe or impassable conditions and to reduce impacts to other resource values.

Are there road and trail route marker signs on the ground?

Routes designated for motorized use may not always be signed. In some cases, a route marker may exist at the entrance of the road or trail with symbols indicating which classes of vehicles are allowed. Routes designated for motorized uses will be identified on the MVUM. The MVUM is an enforcement tool to ensure individuals are on the correct route. It is the responsibility of the user to determine if they are on a route designated for the motor vehicle being used. MVUM will be developed for each forest nationwide. It is not only a tool for motorized users, but also a consistent and standardized law enforcement tool.