Motor Vehicle Use Maps

On November 9, 2005, the Forest Service published a final travel management regulation, governing use of OHVs and other motor vehicles on National Forest System lands. The final rule requires individual national forests to designate those roads, trails, and areas open to motor vehicle use. Once designation is complete on a national forest or ranger district, the rule will prohibit motor vehicles off the designated system.


Motor Vehicle Use Maps

We provide maps of the forest that inform you of what Forest Service Road or Trail is open to which vehicle.  These are provided free and are updated each year. Use the map at the bottom of the page to figure out which MVUM(s) you will need.

There are four ways to obtain an MVUM:


Central Front pdf

Central Back pdf

East Back pdf

East Front pdf

West Front pdf

West Back pdf

McCormick Wilderness

NOTE: Maps are formatted in a .pdf format and are extremely large documents. To view and print, you will need to use the “zoom” tool. To determine which MVUM you need, please click on the Map Index link



The Forest Service also has an online Interactive Travel Map to help you understand where you can legally enjoy travel opportunities in the Ottawa National Forest.  Zoom in to the western Upper Peninsula of Michigan to find the Ottawa National Forest.  This online service does not replace the MVUMs.


From Us

For a paper copy of the MVUM(s) you need please call one of our offices or email us at


Check out the attached brochure, which was created to answer our most frequently asked questions:  MVUM FAQ's.  Still have questions?  Our expanded FAQ's are a bit more specific to the Ottawa: MVUM Expanded FAQ's.