Know Before You Go: Recreating on the Prescott NF During Wet/Snowy/Icy Weather
WHAT TO KNOW/DO WHEN ENGAGING IN WINTER RECREATION ON THE FOREST:
- Winter conditions, such as accumulation of snow and/or ice, often lead to temporary closures of year-round recreation sites and facilities. Recreation sites are not plowed in winter.
- Recreation visitors are encouraged to check and monitor weather forecasts when planning to visit and before travelling to National Forest recreation sites.
- Visitors should be prepared for sudden changes in weather. Should tow services be needed, contact a local tow company.
- Response to storm conditions is situational and based on available resources, hazards, and severity of conditions. Snow removal is infrequent.
- In Life & Death Emergencies and Crimes in Progress, Visitors should contact 911.
- For Non-life-threatening situations, when FS personnel are not available, call Yavapai County Sheriff – non-emergency dispatch (Prescott 928-771-3260).
- For 5 or 6 above, be prepared to identify yourself, describe the situation, identify your location, how to get there, and how you can be reached.