Permitted Services

Permitted Services

To obtain campground, outfitter guide, and other services from commercial companies who operate through Forest Service permits, please contact them directly.

Recreation Residence

The Forest Service Recreation Residence program gives private citizens the opportunity to own a single-family cabin in designated areas on the National Forests. They are commonly called "summer homes" or "recreation cabins". These privately owned cabins (improvements) are located within formally established "tracts" on "lots" designated for that purpose and are authorized and administered under the terms and conditions of a special use authorization (SUA) called a permit. The individual owns the improvements but not the land. The permit requires the payment of an annual rental fee based upon fair market value of the land, not including improvements, as determined by an appraisal.

For more information and for the Management Standards for Recreation Residences, click here.


Memorials, Plaques, Honoraria or Commemorative Monuments-on National Forest System lands

The placement of and requests for placing private memorials or similar forms of remembrance on the Forest continue to rise.

The Forest Service understand the emotion associated with losing a close friend or family member, and the desire to memorialize an individual or event.

While the placement of a monument or memorial on public land may help some individuals through difficult times, these memorials are generally of significance to only those most closely tied to a specific person or event. Others may feel that memorials intrude on their experience of the Forest. For this and other reasons, the placement of monuments or memorials on National Forest System lands is prohibited.

Monuments or memorials will be removed and disposed of when discovered. In lieu of placing a monument or memorial on public land, the Forest Service asks that you consider honoring the person or event in ways that do not have a lasting impact on the landscape or other visitors' experiences.

Memorials or other commemorative items left on public land may be a violation of 43 CFR 2990.1-2 Unauthorized Use, or 43 CFR 8365.1-2 Unattended Personal Property

Alternatives to the placement of a private memorial

Can I plant a memorial tree in a national forest?

The Forest Service "Plant-A-Tree" Program permits individuals and groups to donate money for the planting of trees on National Forests. The trees may be planted to memorialize loved ones or to commemorate special events such as births, weddings, or anniversaries.

For a suggested minimum donation of $10, which pays for 10-15 seedlings, donors receive a certificate acknowledging their gift. If desired, the name of the person in whose honor the donation is made will appear on the certificate. The trees, planted mostly in large plantations, will not be individually identified by donor. Smaller (or larger) donations will be acceptable in most cases. Business groups may participate in the program as long as their participation is non­commercial.

Donations may be made in person and by mail at all Forest Service offices. Forest Service offices are listed in the telephone directory under "U.S. Government, Department of Agriculture."