Research Permits

The USDA Forest Service permits research use on public lands. Like other short-term uses of National Forest System lands, conducting research requires a special use permit issued by the District Ranger.

For timely processing, proposals for these types of permits should be submitted prior to the recommended deadline set forth in the research permit checklist.

The use of drones requires additional documentation and will require day-of notifications for flights to be authorized


Click on these forms to apply for a Research Permit

PSICC Research Permit Checklist pdf format

SF299 Special Use Proposal Form pdf format

Research Permit OpPlan & Itinerary Template MS Word format

FS Drone Policy pdf format