Alaska 49 Sites-Southeast Alaska
Sites in Southeast Alaska
|Baranof Castle State Historic Site
Tlingit natives originally inhabited this area and built a strategic fortification here.
|Big Shaheen Cabin
Located in the Admiralty Island National Monument near Angoon, the Big Shaheen Cabin is a historic log cabin that was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps in 1935.
In the 1950s, a logging camp was set up, and through timber harvest, road-building, and other construction during the 1960s, human burials were discovered, indicating the presence of an archaeological site.
|Disenchantment Bay Sealing Camps
Old hunting camps dot the shores of Disenchantment Bay, providing an archaeological perspective on this richly interwoven history.
|Duke Island Area Traditional Cultural Property
Duke Island, located south of Ketchikan, is a culturally significant place to the Taantakwaan Tlingit, also known as the Tongass Tribe and namesake of the Tongass National Forest.
The Hidden Falls archaeological site represents the earliest known occupation of Baranof Island.
Kake Cannery was constructed between 1912 and 1940. The site played a key role in the development of the Alaskan salmon-canning industry during the first half of the 20th century.
|Klondike Gold Rush - Skagway and White Pass District NHL and Dyea and Chilkoot Trail District NHL
In August 1896, Skookum Jim Mason, Dawson Charlie, and George Washington Carmack found gold in a tributary of the Klondike River in Canada's Yukon Territory.
The M/V Chugach is a historic ranger boat currently docked in Wrangell for repairs. She is the last wooden ranger boat in the U.S. Forest Service fleet.
|Port Camden Fish Trap
Port Camden Fish Trap is located on a vast tide flat at the head of a large bay.
|Russian Orthodox Church Multiple Property Thematic
The Russian Orthodox Church Multiple Property Thematic Nomination divides 149 churches located across the state into three groups.
|Shuká Káa - On Your Knees Cave
On Your Knees Cave
After years of study at On Your Knees Cave, paleontologists and archaeologists changed our understanding of the earliest Northwest Coast prehistory.
|Sitka National Historical Park - Indian River - Russian Bishop's House
The Russian Bishop's House is the best remaining example of Russian American architecture in the United States and a symbol of the Russian culture's interaction with Native groups.
|Sitka Naval Operating Base and U.S. Army Coastal Defenses - Fort Rousseau Causeway
Designated a National Historic Landmark in 1986, Sitka Naval Operating Base and U.S. Army Coastal Defenses is one of eight World War II Landmarks in Alaska.
|Three Lakes Shelter
The historic Three Lakes Shelter on Mitkof Island, located 14 miles southeast of Petersburg, was dismantled and rebuilt in 2006.
Rock art including pictographs, or painted rock, and petroglyphs, or pecked rock, are some of the oldest forms of artistic expression found in Southeast Alaska.
|Validation Terrace and Irish Creek
Irish Creek and Validation Terrace are early Holocene sites where archaeologists have found hundreds of artifacts, including stone tools, shell and bone fragments.
|Wrangell Petroglyph Beach
Petroglyph Beach in Wrangell has the highest concentration of petroglyphs in Southeast Alaska.
|X’unáxi Traditional Cultural Property
X’unáxi or Auke Cape, known locally as Indian Point, is a traditional cultural property that was the site of the first Auk Tlingit village in the Juneau area.
|Yaxté Totem Pole
A 47-foot long totem pole carved out of red cedar in 1941, the Yaxté totem was restored in 2014 after sustaining damage from insects, rot and arson over the years.