Historic Fremont Powerhouse Site - Oregon

Fremont Caretakers Cabin, Fremont Congo Gulch, Fremont Hilltop Hideaway, and Fremont Miner's Retreat recreation rentals are located at the historic Fremont Powerhouse site near the town of Granite. The powerhouse was constructed in 1908 and after 59 years of continuous service, generated its last electrical power in October 1967. In 1968, the California - Pacific Utilities Company donated the entire complex to the U.S. Forest Service. The need for economic power surfaced in 1903 when the earnings of some local mines began to decrease. In an effort to operate the mines more economically, local waterpower was piped from nearby Olive Lake though an eight-mile long wood and steel pipeline to generate the much-needed electrical power.

Back to Recreation Rental: Fremont Caretakers Cabin | Fremont Congo Gulch | Fremont Hilltop Hideaway | Fremont Miner's Retreat

[PHOTO: Fremont Powerhouse]

Fremont Powerhouse

Back to Recreation Rental: Fremont Caretakers Cabin | Fremont Congo Gulch | Fremont Hilltop Hideaway | Fremont Miner's Retreat

[PHOTO: Fremont Powerhouse]

Fremont Powerhouse

Back to Recreation Rental: Fremont Caretakers Cabin | Fremont Congo Gulch | Fremont Hilltop Hideaway | Fremont Miner's Retreat

[PHOTO: Fremont Powerhouse]

Fremont Powerhouse

Back to Recreation Rental: Fremont Caretakers Cabin | Fremont Congo Gulch | Fremont Hilltop Hideaway | Fremont Miner's Retreat

[PHOTO: Fremont Powerhouse]

Fremont Powerhouse

Back to Recreation Rental: Fremont Caretakers Cabin | Fremont Congo Gulch | Fremont Hilltop Hideaway | Fremont Miner's Retreat

USDA logo which links to the department's national site. Forest Service logo which links to the agency's national site.



https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/r6/recreation/racs/?cid=fsbdev2_026817