Pack the "10 essentials" and be prepared for minor injuries, sudden weather changes or delays.
- Appropriate footwear: Make sure you are wearing sturdy footwear that can withstand the terrain and the length of your trip.
- Map: Bring a printed map. Don't rely on your phone for navigation in emergencies. You can't count on cell phone coverage in remote areas.
- Extra Food: Carry more than the minimum requirement of food. Such as: Power bars, jerky or chocolate.
- Extra Water: Bring extra water! It's often helpful to carry water purification tablets or a water filter.
- Extra Clothing: Bring layers of clothing that are not cotton. This way you can regulate your temperature if the weather shifts.
- Emergency Items: Bring a flashlight & extra batteries, whistle, matches.
- First Aid Kit: including foot care and insect repellent (as needed)
- Multi-tool or Knife: plus a gear repair kit
- Backpack: Bring a backpack that can fit your essentials and any extra gear you need.
- Sun protection: Hat, sunglasses & sunscreen.
Additional Items to Consider
- Additional wayfinding tools: Compass & or GPS
- Signaling device: Foil, pocket mirror
- Prescriptions: glasses, medications (bring extra)
- Radio with extra batteries
- Shelter: Space blanket or a piece of plastic (to use for warmth or shelter)
- Trash bag: (makes an adequate poncho)