Volunteer Pass

Cost: FREE

Volunteer PassBenefits

  • Honored nationwide at all Forest Service, National Park Service, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation, and US Fish and Wildlife Service Sites charging entrance or standard amenity fees. 
  • Valid for 12 months from the month of issue. Expires the last day of the month punched. 
  • Admits one pass holder and any accompanying passengers in a private, non-commercial vehicle. 
  • At per-person fee areas, admits pass holder and up to 3 persons. Persons under 15 years of age are free. 


  • The date is validated by the issuer at the time of issue. The pass is not valid for use until volunteer signs the pass.


  • At staffed sites, show your pass to the booth attendant. 
  • At unstaffed sites, use hangtag to display pass from rear-view mirror. 
  • At per-person sites, present pass upon request.


  • This pass is available through agency volunteer program coordinators. Work with your local forest coordinator to ensure your volunteer hours are tracked and recorded.
  • This pass can be issued free of charge to a United States Citizen or permanent resident who individually accrues 250 volunteer hours.
  • A volunteer may begin to accrue hours on or after January 1, 2007. 
  • There is no specific time frame in which the volunteer hours must be accrued. If a person is awarded a pass for volunteering 250 or more hours their volunteer time goes back to zero in terms of counting the next 250 hours. Only one pass may be issued per year to an individual. 

Other Important Details

  • Non-transferable and non-replaceable if lost or stolen.
  • Belongs to the signer only and he/she must be present for the pass to be used. Photo ID may be required.
  • One decal for open topped vehicles may be issued free with this pass. Decals can only be used for motorcycles or open-topped vehicles at unstaffed sites and are only valid with pass. 
  • This pass does NOT cover special recreation permits or expanded amenity fees.

How to Obtain a Pass and a Hangtag

  • This pass may only be obtained at a National Forest or Grassland Office through your volunteer coordinator.