National Forest Christmas tree permits on sale

Durango, CO., November 26, 2019 - Christmas tree permits, which allow you to cut your own holiday tree, are on sale for $8 at San Juan National Forest offices and selected retail outlets in southwestern Colorado. A permit allows you to cut one tree up to 20 feet tall for personal use until December 31, 2019. Permits come with a brochure with safety tips, information on which species of tree to harvest, and the best places to find trees. 

The Forest Service is also offering one free permit to fourth-grade students who hold a valid Every Kid Outdoors pass or paper voucher downloaded from: . The free permit is only good at agency offices, and the participating fourth grader must be present. 

San Juan Mountains Association and San Juan National Forest employees volunteer to help you select and cut your tree on the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Christmas Tree Train. The Christmas Tree Train will run on Sundays, December 1st through 15th.  Go to: to find out how you can ride the train into the National Forest to cut your own Christmas tree.

You may purchase your Christmas tree permit in advance from any of the locations listed below or on the train with cash or check only.


  • Columbine Ranger District, 367 Pearl Street (Mon. - Fri. 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.)


  • Dolores Ranger District, 29211 Colorado Highway 184 (Mon.- Fri. 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.)
  • Dolores Outfitters 341 Railroad Ave (Mon. - Sat. 7 a.m. -7 p.m. and Sun. 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.)


  • San Juan Public Lands Center, 15 Burnett Court (Mon. - Fri. 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.)
  • Kroeger’s Ace Hardware, #8 Town Plaza


  • Cox Corner Store, 18794 Hwy 491 (Mon. - Sat. 5:30 a.m. - 8:30 p.m., and Sun. 5:30 a.m. - 8 p.m.)


  • Cox Conoco, 201 E. Railroad Avenue (Mon. - Sun. 6 a.m. - 9 p.m.)

Pagosa Springs:  

  • Pagosa Ranger District, 180 Pagosa Street (Mon. - Fri. 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.)

National Forest roads are not plowed for snow removal, and icy or snow-packed conditions may exist. For information on road conditions and Christmas tree harvesting, go to: or call the National Forest office closest to your destination.

Bureau of Management Christmas tree permits are sold separately.