Forest Plan Revision
2022 Forest Plan for the Santa Fe National Forest
The multi-year process of revising and updating the Santa Fe National Forest’s Forest Plan is now complete. The forest planning team collaborated with a broad range of stakeholders and members of the public to develop a plan that promotes a healthy, diverse and productive forest. Implementation of the new plan can begin on August 29, 2022.
The Forest Plan guides the Santa Fe National Forest in fulfilling its stewardship responsibilities to best meet the current and future needs of the American people. The new Forest Plan integrates forest restoration, climate resilience, watershed protection, wildlife conservation and opportunities to contribute to local economies.
Public Notice: Corrected Final Santa Fe National Forest Land Management Plan
The Santa Fe National Forest (SFNF) Responsible Official, Acting Forest Supervisor James Duran, has identified the need to correct a clerical error in the Final SFNF Land Management Plan, published on July 29, 2022. Based on objections received, the Thompson Peak recommended wilderness area acreage was reduced to 9,483 acres. This change was reflected in the FEIS Volumes 1, 2, and 3 and in the final Record of Decision. This updated acreage needs to be corrected in the final LMP on page 213. The corrected version of the final LMP reflecting this updated acreage has been uploaded at the link below and thereby replaces the previous version. For additional information, please contact the Acting Forest Planner, Sarah Browne, at (505) 414-3301 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Final Planning Documents
- Final Land Management Plan
- Final EIS Volume 1
- Final EIS Volume 2
- Final EIS Volume 3
- Final EIS Volume 4
- Record of Decision
- Notice of Approval of Revised Land Management Plan, Federal Register July 29, 2022
- Legal Notice of Plan Approval, Albuquerque Journal July 29, 2022
- Video overview of final plans for the Santa Fe, Carson and Cibola National Forests (redirects to YouTube)
- Summary of changes between draft and final plan
- Three-Forest Consistency Guide
- Biological Assessment for the SFNF Forest Land Management Plan Revision
- USFWS Biological Opinion for Land Management Plan Revision
- Scenic Character Description for the SFNF
The formal 60-day objection period closed on November 1, 2021. You may review the objections to the Final Plan and EIS here.
On May 24, 2022, Regional Forester Michiko Martin issued her response to the objection resolution meetings. The Santa Fe National Forest Plan Revision Objection Response was issued the same day.
- Santa Fe National Forest Objection Response
- Northern New Mexico Objection Resolution Meeting Notes
- Objection Response to the Northern New Mexico Land Management Plans
Published Draft Documents
The draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS) and draft Forest Plan are available on our website.
- Draft Forest Plan
- Draft Environmental Impact Statement Volume 1
- Draft Environmental Impact Statement Volume 2
- Draft Environmental Impact Statement Volume 3
- Changes between Preliminary Draft Plan and Final Draft Plan
- How to Comment Guide
Contact the Forest Plan Revision Team
Santa Fe National Forest
Forest Plan Revision Team
11 Forest Lane
Santa Fe, NM 87508