12-18-08 (NEW) 2018 Elevated Fire Restrictions
SAN BERNARDINO NATIONAL FOREST
Forest Order No. 12-18-08
Pursuant to 16 USC 551 and 36 CFR 261.50(a), and to provide for public safety and protect natural resources, the following acts are prohibited within the San Bernardino National Forest. This Order is effective beginning September 5, 2018 until January 31, 2019 through the end of the official 2018 fire season.
1. Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire, campfire, or stove fire anywhere on the San Bernardino National Forest except within the areas listed in Exhibits A, B, and C. 36 CFR 261.52(a).
2. Smoking anywhere on the San Bernardino National Forest, except within an enclosed vehicle or building, or in the areas listed in Exhibits A, B, and C. 36 CFR 261.52(d).
3. Welding, or operating acetylene or other torch with open flame. 36 CFR 261.52(i).
4. Discharging a firearm anywhere on the San Bernardino National Forest, except within the shooting areas listed in Exhibits B and C. 36 CFR 261.58(m)
Pursuant to 36 CFR 261.50(e), the following persons are exempt from this Order:
1. Any Federal, State or local officer, or member of an organized rescue or firefighting force in the performance of an official duty.
2. Persons with a permit from the Forest Service specifically authorizing the otherwise prohibited act or omission.
3. Persons with a valid California Campfire Permit are not exempt from the prohibitions listed above. However, persons with a valid California Campfire Permit may use a portable contained-gas or liquefied-petroleum stove or lantern with a fuel shut-off valve.
4. Persons hunting during the open hunting season as specified by the laws of the State of California, and possessing a valid California hunting license, may discharge a firearm at a legal game bird or mammal.
These prohibitions are in addition to the general prohibitions in 36 CFR Part 261, Subpart A.
A violation of these prohibitions is punishable by a fine of not more than $5,000 for an individual or $10,000 for an organization, or imprisonment for not more than six months or both.
16 USC 551, and 18 USC 3559, 3571, and 3581.
Executed in San Bernardino, California, this 4th day of September 2018
San Bernardino National Forest
This Order supersedes Order No. 12-18-02, dated July 12, 2018.