Motor Vehicle Use Maps

Please follow the links on this page to download digital versions of the MVUMs or contact your local Forest Service office to obtain paper copies of the map, free of charge.

About MVUMs

This motor vehicle use map identifies those roads, trails, and areas designated for the motor vehicle use under 36 CFR 212.51 for the purpose of enforcing the prohibition at 36 CFR 261.13. This is a limited purpose. The other public roads are shown for information and navigation purposes only and are not subject to designation under the Forest Service travel management regulation. These designations apply only to National Forest System roads, National Forest System trails, and areas on National Forest System lands.

It is your responsibility to reference the MVUM to stay on designated routes for motor vehicle use. Information on Travel Management direction and Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) programs should be obtained by contacting the forest directly.

Direct Links to Motor Vehicle Use Maps Available for the Forest

Our digital maps are available to download as geospatial PDFs for viewing and/or use in any GPS-enabled mobile application, or directly from the Avenza Maps online map store. For the best user experience, use our MVUMs within a GPS-enabled mobile app such as Avenza Maps. (USDA Forest Service maintains a partnership with Avenza Systems, Inc., to offer Forest Service maps on the Avenza Maps platform but its usage is not required to download or view these MVUMs.)

Please select the following title to learn more about MVUMs.

Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I get a Motor Vehicle Use Map?

Maps are available on this website (above) or paper copies are available free of charge at each of the Forest Service Ranger Stations, and the Forest Supervisor's Office.

How do I print the Motor Vehicle Use Map?

A full-size version of the Motor Vehicle Use Map is 34" x 44" and cannot be printed on conventional home printers. A full-size version can only be printed from a large plotter. Many local engineering and survey business can print the map for a nominal fee.

To be readable, only a portion of the Motor Vehicle Use Map can be printed on 8" x 11" paper using home printers. With Acrobat Reader, use the Print Current View function to print the view on your screen. It is recommended that the legend box, as well as applicable special designations, be printed to aid in interpretation of the Motor Vehicle Use Map.

What does the Motor Vehicle Use Map show me?

  • The Motor Vehicle Use Map shows all National Forest System roads, trails and designated areas allowing public motor vehicle use. Motorized use includes but is not limited to motorcycles, All-Terrain Vehicles, and 4-wheel drive vehicles;
  • The Motor Vehicle Use Map shows designation details, including vehicle class, time of year, and any motorized access for the purpose of dispersed camping (camping in locations other than campgrounds);
  • The Motor Vehicle Use Map shows roads where only highway-legal vehicles are allowed because of user safety considerations;
  • Motor vehicle access may occur on routes not shown on the Motor Vehicle Use Map for the purpose of limited administrative access by Forest Service personnel; for fire and law enforcement for emergency purposes and; by persons authorized by a written special use permit or contract from the Forest Service.

Does the Motor Vehicle Use Map show non-motorized trails?

No. A Forest Visitor Map will provide information on motorized routes and non-motorized routes, including hiking and horse trails.

What do you mean by vehicle class?

Vehicle class refers to certain categories of motorized vehicles. The following are typical vehicle class route designations:

  • Roads open to highway legal vehicles only
  • Roads open to all vehicles (licensed and unlicensed)
  • Trails open to vehicles 50 inches or less in width (All-Terrain Vehicles, motorcycle, etc.)
  • Trails open to all vehicles (trails may be rugged and narrow; not suitable for some Sport Utility Vehicles)
  • Trails open to motorcycles only (single track)

It is important to understand that showing routes and areas as open to certain vehicle classes does not mean that they are maintained for, or suitable for, travel using those vehicles. It simply means it is legal to use them. For example, many low standard roads may be open to all motor vehicles. This designation includes passenger cars, although it may not be prudent to drive this type of vehicle on the route due to the condition of the surface or during inclement weather. Please check with the local Ranger District Offices for more information.

What do you mean by a season allowance?

Some routes or areas may be open only during certain times of the year for various reasons such as to reduce wildlife disturbance, protect users from unsafe or impassable conditions and to reduce impacts to other resource values.

Are there road and trail route marker signs on the ground?

Routes designated for motorized use may not always be signed. In some cases, a route marker may exist at the entrance of the road/trail with symbols indicating which classes of vehicles are allowed. Routes designated for motorized uses will be identified on the Motor Vehicle Use Map. The Motor Vehicle Use Map is an enforcement tool to ensure individuals are on the correct route. It is the responsibility of the user to determine if they are on a route designated for the motor vehicle being used.