Challis-Yankee Fork Ranger District

Because of its historic origins, the Challis - Yankee Fork District has been designated the Home of the Land of the Yankee Fork Historic Area. Each year, thousands of visitors, from around the world, enjoy the diverse recreational opportunities that the Challis - Yankee Fork Ranger District offers. Many visit the Custer and Bonanza ghost towns and the Yankee Fork Gold Dredge for the museums, tours, and interpretive presentations.

Other uses administered by the Challis - Yankee Fork Ranger District include grazing, mining, and wood cutting.


Custer Ghost Town

Empire SaloonFree guided and self-guided walking tours are available Memorial Day - Labor Day during business hours. The School house is the museum with gifts and refreshments available at the Empire Saloon during the summer season. Custer was founded in early 1879 by gold speculators. Economically supported by the operations of the Lucky Boy and Black mines, Custer reached its peak population of 600 in 1896. 

Additional Information | Location Map


All maps and permits can be purchased out of Challis and if you need to arrange to meet a specialist please phone the Challis office to be forwarded to their extension.
HC 63 Box 1669
Challis, ID 83226
(208) 879-4100



Related Links

Featured Events