Passes and Permits

Get a Free Dispersed Camping Permit

Dispersed camping is primitive camping (like backpack camping or canoe camping) that occurs outside of developed campgrounds and within the general forest. RV and car camping are not allowed as dispersed camping. Camps should be at least 50 feet from water and trails, and ½ mile from any road or parking lot. No permit is required for dispersed camping on the Andrew Pickens district in the mountains.

Visitors who wish to disperse camp on the Long Cane, Enoree or Francis Marion ranger districts need to complete free permit below. Please include your name, e-mail address and mobile number and sign electronically.  Then email the completed form to the appropriate ranger district below.

Once approved, you’ll receive a signed Dispersed Camping Permit back via email. Please print off a copy of your signed permit and keep it on you while camping. Your permit must be approved before you can go dispersed camping. Incomplete permits will not be approved. Please abide by the rules and regulations outlined in the permit and enjoy your stay on your national forests!

Due to the volume of requests, submit your permits at least 24 to 48 hours ahead of when you plan to dispersed camp to allow sufficient time to process the permit. Requests for weekend camping should be submitted by Thursday at noon to ensure time for processing.

Download a Primitive Camping Permit

Sample Primitive Camping Permit for Reference

Email your completed Dispersed Camping Permit application to the below address or call for more information:

Francis Marion Ranger District: ; or call (843) 336-2200

Enoree Ranger District:; or call (803) 276-4810

Long Cane Ranger District:; or call (803) 637-5396

Pass Information

Buying an OHV permit

Interagency passes are honored nationwide at all Forest Service, National Park Service, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation and U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service sites that charge standard entrance fees. Interagency Annual, Interagency Senior, Interagency Access, and Interagency Military passes allow the public to enter some fee areas without additional charge. This is convenient when traveling to several areas that charge an entrance fee. These passes may be obtained by mail order through the USGS website. Please follow these links to order by mail:

Military passes must be obtained in person and are available at most federal recreation sites that charge standard entrance or amenity fees. Generally, sites that issue the Annual Pass will also issue the free US military version as well. A list of recreation sites (by state) that sell passes is available, but please first call the federal site you will be visiting to ensure that they have the pass available.

America the Beautiful passes can also be purchased online at:

Permit Information

Permits are required for:

  • Selling any merchandise;
  • Posting or distributing any handbill, circular, paper or notice;
  • Conducting or participating in a public meeting assembly or special event;
  • Groups of more than 75 people require a special-use permit to camp in either a campground or undesignated area.
  • Groups of any size camping in undesignated areas will need a visitor pass/permit. Contact the local district office.
  • Within the Chattooga River corridor, groups with more than 24 participants and/or commercial activities are prohibited without a Special Use Permit issued by the Forest Service.

Recreational Passes and Permits

Recreational passes and Permits are required for some activities on the forest.

Firewood and Miscellaneous Forest Products Permits

Permits for firewood or miscellaneous forest products are available at each district office.

Firewood permits are available at all district offices for personal use. The minimum cost is $20 and only dead and down wood may be taken.

Permits are available at all district offices for miscellaneous forest products. The minimum cost for a permit is $20.

Annual Rifle Range Pass

Annual Rifle Range Passes are available for the Enoree and Long Cane District rifle ranges. Passes are available for purchase at the Enoree and Long Cane Ranger Districts offices, as well as at the Supervisor's Office. The Annual Rifle Range Pass is available on

You can also order a pass via mail. You can download the application and the rules and regulations for our rifle ranges on our website. All you need to do is fill out the Rifle Range Annual Special Recreation Permit form and mail the form with payment to the district office managing the range you will primarily be using.

Rifle Range Annual Special Recreation Permit

Chattooga River Boating

A free self-service permit is required for each boating group on the Chattooga Wild and Scenic River. These are obtained at self-service stands located at the river access points.