Check out the new Sewee Shell Ring Boardwalk Trail on the Francis Marion
The Francis Marion National Forest is pleased to announce the Sewee Shell Ring Trail is opening with a new look. Damage resulting from Hurricanes Matthew (2016) and Irma (2017) led to temporary repairs and ultimately the full replacement of the trail boardwalk.
The six-foot-wide 366 feet long wooden boardwalk was replaced with a fiberglass structure which includes expanded viewing platforms to accommodate larger groups. Forest Engineers settled on the fiberglass construction due to its increased expected lifespan and improved load capabilities in comparison to treated wood. Specifically, the fiberglass used for the trail boardwalk has a lifespan of 75 years in comparison to the 13 years of treated lumber and is eight to ten times stronger.
Alerts & Warnings
- Bridge closure on FS road 305 on Enoree Ranger District
- New digital payment options and online reservations at Enoree recreation sites
- Supervisor's Office not issuing passes until June 29
- No potable water at Parsons Mountain Recreation Area
- Please be aware of open well hazards on Sumter National Forest