Forest Visitor Maps, National Forest Atlas, and Wilderness Maps
These maps are available for purchase at the U.S. Geological Survey Store, many Forest & Grassland Offices in the region and other retail outlets. Many Forest Visitor Maps are also available for purchase as georeferenced PDFs on Avenza, for use on mobile devices.
- Forest Visitor Maps for each national forest and grassland provide forest-wide information on attractions, facilities, services, and opportunities.
- National Forest Atlases are full color atlases, containing 8.5-inch by 11-inch topographic quadrangle maps at 1 inch to the mile scale and are available for many of the forests in California.
- Wilderness Maps are topographic maps that show natural features such as mountains, valleys, plains, lakes, rivers, and vegetation using contour lines depicting elevation gain or loss. Each map covers all or part of one wilderness area and the scale is generally 1 inch per mile (1:63,360).
You can also purchase National Forest Visitor Maps through our partner organization, 3 Forests Interpretive Association (3FIA).
Forest visitor and other kinds of maps can be purchased at most Sequoia National Forest Offices.
Digital Maps for Mobile Devices
The Avenza Maps Mobile App, developed by Avenza Systems Inc., is available as a free download from iTunes and the Android Play Store. The app provides access to Forest Service maps, such as motor-vehicle-use maps, which are free while pages from national forest atlases are 99 cents and forest visitor maps are $4.99.
- FSTopo is the Forest Service series of large scale topographic maps. FSTopo maps are 7.5 minute, 1:24,000-scale over the conterminous United States, and 15 minute X 20-22.5 minute, 1:63,360-scale over Alaska. These maps are available for download at Forest Service Topography Maps.
Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM)
The Motor Vehicle Use Map displays National Forest System routes (roads and trails) or areas designated open to motorized travel. The Motor Vehicle Use Map also displays uses allowed by vehicle class (highway-legal vehicles, vehicles less than 50 inches wide and motorcycles), and seasonal allowances.
Hume Lake Ranger District and Giant Sequoia National Monument (north)
- Hume Lake Ranger District Motor Vehicle Opportunity Guide (MVOG) Map (Colored and GeoRef; 7.8mb pdf)
- Recreation Map for Hume Lake Ranger District (Colored and GeoRef; 1.8mb jpg)
- Winter Recreation Routes and Trails Map for Hume Lake Ranger District (2.6mb jpg)
Western Divide Ranger District and Giant Sequoia National Monument (south)
Kern River Ranger District
- Kern River MVOG (Motor Vehicle Opportunity Guide) page 1
- Kern River MVOG (Motor Vehicle Opportunity Guide) page 2
- River rafting - The Forks , Class V rapids (Thunder Run; 443k pdf)
- River rafting - Upper Kern, Class III and IV rapids (412k pdf)
- River rafting - Lower Kern, Class III and IV rapids (732k pdf)
Select Forest Maps
Forest Service Quad Maps Online
The Forest Service Geodata Clearinghouse provides maps in multiple formats for viewing and printing. Raster data maps are divided into topographic quadrangle sections in a 1:24,000 scale view. Download time may vary depending on internet connection speed and file size. View National Forest topographic quadrangle maps at the Forest Service Geodata Clearinghouse. (select California then select Sequoia's North or South section to get to page where individual quad maps can be viewed).
- Online maps can be also be found at Wilderness.net.