Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue. On-going operational updates will be posted here (https://www.fs.fed.us/shutdown) as we are able to provide them.


Recreation Passes and Permits *old

Recreation Pass Information

The federal government established the "America the Beautiful – National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass" in January 2007.  Called the Interagency Pass, this pass covers entrance to Fish and Wildlife Service Refuges and National Park sites that charge an entrance fee and covers use of Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation, and Forest Service sites that charge a standard amenity fee.

Order passes online here.

Annual Pass

$80 per year and may be purchased in person or online.

Senior Pass

$10 lifetime for persons 62 years and older. Purchase in person or order online and mailed  here.

Access Pass

Free lifetime for persons with a permanent disability obtained in person or ordered and mailed from here.

Volunteer Pass

Volunteer Pass is a free annual pass that may be earned by donating 250 hours of service on a cumulative basis.

Click here for more info on these passes!

Military Pass

This is a free annual pass for active military personnel and their dependents.
Contact your local Forest Service about this pass!

Southern Sierra Pass (Annual or Daily)

A map of campsites and recreation areas at Lake Isabella and where Southern Sierra Pass req




Click on map for larger (printable) pdf version

The Forest Service Southern Sierra Annual Pass can be purchased from Forest Service offices or from local vendors. The pass covers recreation fees per vehicle at the following recreation sites in the Sequoia National Forest and the Giant Sequoia National Monument: Auxiliary Dam, Old Isabella, South Fork Recreation Site, and day use at Camp 9. 

  • The Daily Southern Sierra Pass is $10/per day.
  • The Annual Southern Sierra Pass is $50/year.
  • One additional vehicle pass will be available for $10 with the purchase of the Annual pass.

Other Interagency Passes will also be accepted in the area, including the America the Beautiful  Annual, Access, Military, Volunteer and Senior Passes. The Golden Age and the Golden Access will also be accepted.  The passes are available online, at FS Offices and at Golden State Surplus. Order Southern Sierra passes online here.

More Information on the Southern Sierra Pass

The Forest Service collects recreation fees under the Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act (REA) for sites and areas with the requisite amenities and services.

Recreation Permit Information

Campfire Permits

You must have a California Campfire Permit to have a campfire, charcoal barbecue, or use a gas stove or gas lantern.  The permit is your agreement to follow the campfire restrictions and regulations in effect.

Remember that regulations governing campfires can change with weather conditions and the seasons. To protect yourself and the forest, before each visit, check with the Forest Service for current campfire restrictions. Smoking outside of an enclosed vehicle may be completely prohibited during times of high fire danger.

Your campfire permit is valid from the date issued until the end of the calendar year; it may be used in any National Forest in California.

To obtain your campfire permit CLICK HERE

Campfire permits can also be issued in person:
Go to one of our offices listed on our Contact Us page during business hours and a receptionist will issue you a permit. Or any Forest Service, California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection Office, or Bureau of Land Management office.

Campfire Restrictions 

During certain times of the year, it is necessary to impose restrictions on campfires and other open flame fires due to high fire danger. It is your responsibility to find out what these restrictions are. The best way to do this is by contacting a local office in the area you intend to visit.

Terms of the Permit -

When you sign the permit you agree to the following:

  • Clear all flammable material away from the fire for a minimum of five feet in all directions to prevent escape of the fire. Meadows make poor campsite locations as you will destroy sections of the meadow with the campfire and the clearance.
  • Have a shovel available at the campfire site for preparing and extinguishing campfires.
  • Have a responsible person in attendance at all times. Leave the permit with that person and make sure they are aware of the terms of the permit.
  • Extinguish campfire with water, using the drown, stir, and feel method.

It Can Cost You - You will be held liable for the cost of suppression and damages caused by any wildfire that starts through negligence on your part.

How To Safely Start And Put Out A Campfire

Prepare Your Site - Find a level spot away from overhanging branches, brush, or dry grass. Keep away from the base of a hill. Escaped fires travel uphill fast. With a shovel, clear a circle 10 feet wide down to bare dirt. Hollow out a fire pit 6 inches deep and 2 feet across at the center of the cleared circle. Pile the dirt around the fire pit. Keep your fire small. Use existing fire rings where available to reduce the number of disturbed areas and damage to soil cover and vegetation.

Beware of the Duff - Duff is the layer of decomposing wood material that lies on the forest floor between pine needles and bare dirt. Many times it may look like dirt, but it isn't. Duff burns, dirt doesn't. It allows even the smallest ember to smolder for days, most times underground and unnoticed, until enough heat is built up to produce flames. Don't let the duff fool you.

  • Attend to Your Fire - Never leave your campfire unattended, even for a few minutes or if you take a nap.
  • Drown the Fire - Drown your campfire 1/2 hour before you break camp. Use your shovel to separate the burning pieces of wood in the fire pit.
  • Stir and Mix - Stir and mix water with the ashes until the fire is out. Don't try to bury the fire under dirt, it can smolder for hours and then escape.
  • Drown Briquettes - Charcoal briquettes should be extinguished by dumping into a pail of water, mixing thoroughly, and then place into the fire pit.
  • Feel the Ashes - Feel the ashes to be sure the fire is out. Before you leave the campsite, check the area within 50 feet of the fire for sparks or embers that may have escaped.
  • Come Prepared - Obtain your campfire permit, bring your shovel, and a pail for water.

River Use Permits

On the Upper and Lower Kern Runs, the Forest Service provides an annual permit which is free of charge. Boaters need to pick up these permits in person at a Forest Service office in Kernville, Lake Isabella.

Click here to learn more about the River Use Permit.


River Use Manifest

View/Download Lower Kern River Daily Use Manifest form (PDF 101k)
View/Download Upper Kern River Daily Use Manifest form (PDF 103k)

For the Forks Run, the Forest Service operates an advance reservation service because of the popularity for this stretch of river. There is a $10.00 charge for this service.

Click here to learn more about the River Use Permit.


Wilderness Permits

A permit is required for overnight visits to the Golden Trout Wilderness. These permits are free of charge and may be obtained at one of our offices. One permit is required per trip per group. If you choose to have a campfire you will need also need a campfire permit. These may also be obtained free of charge at the same time you obtain your Wilderness permit. Permits for overnight visits to other wilderness areas or for day use are not required but we ask that you sign the register at the trailhead.

The Jennie Lakes Wilderness and the Monarch Wilderness have trailhead registration cards, please complete the card and carry a copy with you on the trail. This registration card assists in compiling accurate visitor use trend data and necessary to manage the wilderness effectively. Thank you