Rules and Restrictions
It is the responsibility of the visitor to be knowledgeable about the the rules and regulations of the Shawnee National Forest and the activity they are participating in. Campgrounds, picnic areas, and trailhead bulletin boards are some locations where rules and regulations are posted, however for various reasons they may not contain a complete list.
Please contact a Shawnee National Forest office if you have questions about what is allowed on national forest land.
The Forest Supervisor has the authority to determine and set more specific regulations, these are known as "Forest Orders".
Shawnee National Forest Rules and Restrictions by Topic or Location
- Occupancy & Use - Includes:
- Being in Areas or Sites Posted "Closed"
- Public Nudity
- Swimming Areas and Beaches
- Food & Beverage Glass Containers (Bell Smith Springs)
- Disposable Food or Beverage Containers or Packages (Garden of the Gods Observation Trail)
- Possession of Alcoholic Beverages in violation of State of Illinois Law
- Possession of Cannabis
- Spark Arrestor Device
- Cave and Mine Closure
- Golconda Job Corps
- Horse/Pack Animal Use within Eagle Creek, Big Grand Peirre Creek, Upper Bay Creek & Lusk Creek Watersheds
- La Rue Road Closure
- Restrictions on Natural Areas
- Ripple Hollow Area
- Special Regulations for Bay Creek, Garden of the Gods and Lusk Creek Wildernesses
- Tree Stands
- Use of Motorized Vehicles & Watercraft
- Wilderness Areas