Motor Vehicle Use Maps

Motor vehicle use maps (MVUMs) are the official maps for designating all roads and trails available for public motorized travel on the Shoshone National Forest. Visitors should not rely on any other maps for making decisions about motorized travel.

Shoshone National Forest 2023 MVUMs

Routes not shown on the MVUM are not open to public motor vehicle travel. Routes designated for motorized use may not always be signed on the ground but will be identified on the MVUM. It is the your responsibility, as the user of public lands, to reference the MVUM and to stay on designated motorized routes.

The MVUM is a black and white map with no topographic features. It is for legal designations of where you can use motorized vhicles. For additional reference, it is recommended to use these maps in conjunction with a Shoshone Visitor Map or another detailed map. 

MVUMs display National Forest System routes (roads and trails) open to motorized travel. MVUMs also display allowed uses by vehicle class (for example, highway-legal vehicles, vehicles 50 inches in width or less, and motorcycles), seasonal allowances, distance allowances, and provides information on other travel rules and regulations.

Motor Vehicle Use Maps are a requirement of the 2005 Final Travel Management Rule and is a product of the 2015 Forest Plan. MVUMs are updated annually.

Frequently Asked Questions