Mushroom Permits

Mushroom Permits

The Siuslaw National Forest is home to a variety of mushrooms that are fantastic for foragers and mushroom gatherers.

Permit Information

There are two categories of mushroom harvesting, Personal Use and Commercial Use. Each type of use is defined by the amount and species to be harvested and each has different permit requirements. Selling or exchanging mushrooms gathered for personal use is a federal violation of 36 CFR 261.6F, subject to a fine up to $5,000 or imprisonment.

Forest Product Permit Duration Permit Fee ($) Allowable Quantities Supplemental Request Form Required? Remarks

Mushrooms (personal use)

Excludes Matsutake mushrooms
No permit required for harvesting one gallon or less per day. Free One gallon or less per day No If collecting more than a gallon per day, a commercial use permit is required

Mushrooms (commercial use)

See list of permitted mushrooms

Excludes Matsutake mushrooms

10 consecutive days or one calendar year $20 per 10 days
or $100 per calendar year
No limit to number of permits that can be purchased per year No

Commercial permits are available throughout the year and are required when more than one gallon of mushrooms are harvested per day.

Matsutake (personal use) No permit required for up to 6 mushrooms picked per person per day Free Up to 6 mushrooms can be collected per day No Mushrooms must be sliced in half prior to removal off site to eliminate commercial value
Matsutake (commercial use)

One year

Only 100 permits are sold a year on the Central Coast Ranger District. Permits typically become available in late summer/early fall.
$250 Quantities are unlimited with this permit. No

Commercial matsutake mushroom permits are sold out for 2022. Permits will become available again in August 2023.

Mushrooms (Excluding Matsutake Mushrooms)

Personal Use

No permit required. If collecting one gallon or less per day of any kind of mushroom except matsutake, no permit is required.

Commercial Use

Permit required. Commercial permits are available throughout the year and are required when more than one gallon of mushroom is harvested per day. Quantities of mushrooms are unlimited (except for matsutake mushrooms, which fall under a separate permit). Each mushroom picker must have a valid permit and be age 18 or older.

  • Permit duration and rate:
    • 10 days for $20 (No limit to the number of permits that can be purchased in a year)
    • Annual permits for $100
  • Only certain edible mushrooms are permitted, such as Chanterelles, Boletus, Oyster, Sulfur Shelf Fungus, Slipper Jack, Imperial, Hedgehog, Shaggy Mane, Lobster, Cauliflower, Pigs Ear, and Coral Fungus.

Matustake Mushrooms

Personal Use

Mutsutake Mushrooms—No permit required. Up to 6 matsutake mushrooms can be collected per day without a permit. All matsutake mushrooms collected for personal use must be cut in half lengthwise immediately after picking to remove their commercial value.

Commercial Use

Matsutake Mushrooms—Permit required. Under a commercial use permit, quantities of mutsutake mushrooms are unlimited. Anyone gathering matsutake mushrooms to sell must carry a commercial-use permit while picking. Each picker must have a valid permit and be age 18 or older. Matsutake permits are valid from the date of sale through Dec. 31 each year.

Annual permits for matsutake mushrooms go on sale in September. One hundred permits will be available for sale at $250 a permit. One permit per person. Permits will be sold on a first come, first served basis. Contact the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area office about commercial matsutake permits.

Commercial 2023 Matsutake Collection Permits • Permisos comerciales de recolección de Matsutake 2023

Request forms can be mailed, filled out in person, or sent by email. Download and print the request form in English or Spanish. To mail the completed form, send it to the address below—postmarked no later than Aug. 21, 2023. Permits will be distributed in the order in which they were received starting Aug. 28 and applicants will be notified by phone if there permit was approval. After Aug. 28 remaining permits will be issued in person from the Reedsport and Waldport offices. These offices are currently open for permit sales from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.

Central Coast Ranger District
Attn: Matsutake
PO Box 400
Waldport, OR 97394

Los formularios de solicitud se pueden enviar por correo, completar en persona o enviar por correo electrónico. Descargue e imprima el formulario de solicitud en inglés o español. Para enviar por correo el formulario completo, envíelo a la dirección arriba, con matasellos no posterior al 21 de agosto de 2023. Los permisos se distribuirán en el orden en que se recibieron a partir del 28 de agosto y se notificará a los solicitantes por teléfono si se aprobó el permiso. Después del 28 de agosto, los permisos restantes se emitirán personalmente en las oficinas de Reedsport y Waldport. Estas oficinas están abiertas para la venta de permisos de 8:30 a. m. a 3:30 p. m. de lunes a viernes, excepto feriados.

How To Obtain a Permit

Mushroom permits can be purchased from the district office where you plan to harvest from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday-Friday. When purchasing, you must provide a valid identification card issued by a state or U.S. federal government and your vehicle make, model, and license plate number.

Where To Harvest

  • View printable high resolution PDF and georeferenced maps of where mushroom permit holders can harvest on the Siuslaw National Forest. Zoom in for details:
  • Harvesting is prohibited in Botanical Areas, Research Natural Areas, wilderness areas, scenic areas, and land other than designated on the map received with your permit.

How to Protect the Forest While Harvesting

  • Harvest products in a caring and ecologically sound way and fill any holes you may create.
  • Pack garbage and food scraps out with you.
  • Follow the terms and conditions on your permit.

Additional Resources