Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) Permits

Off-highway vehicles are a great way to combine America’s love of motor vehicles with the love of the outdoors and the Siuslaw National Forest has some of the best. You will find information on this page to help you plan an off-highway vehicle outing.


  • OHV Permits are State of Oregon permits for operating your vehicle on public land.
  • Most day use staging areas and overnight campgrounds also require a separate Forest Service user fee. Check our Recreation section to see which sites require a recreation pass or fee.

Off-Highway Vehicle Permits

OHV Permits and Regulations

An off-highway vehicle permit is required by the State of Oregon if you want to operate your motorized vehicle on public land. The State establishes and administers OHV permits and regulations.

The Siuslaw National Forest has two areas designated as off-highway vehicle riding areas:

Wondering if your off road vehicle permit from another state is valid in Oregon?
See "Permits from Other States" information on the Oregon State Parks website for a list of states that have reciprocity with Oregon.

You can find more information on the Oregon State Parks website or by calling Oregon Parks and Recreation Department information center at 1.877.772.3359.

OHV Permit vendors

See the latest vendor list (navigate to the link for ATV permit agents) or call the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department information center at 1.877.772.3359 for vendor location.

Sand Camping Permits

Many off highway vehicle riders enjoy the less structured atmosphere of camping out in the dunes. On the Siuslaw National Forest sand camping is allowed at Sand Lake Recreation area and the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area.

Purchase Passes