OHV Sand Camping at the Oregon Dunes
Sand Camping Frequently Asked Questions
Sand camp sites are located directly on the sand, dispersed along the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area. Camping access is by 4X4 on soft sand only and is allowed by reservation only during peak season in designated campsites. Paved overnight parking or overflow parking is not available for vehicles unable to access the sand camping sites. The maps below shows the areas of the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area (NRA) that are open to motorized use and the location of the designated sites for sand camping.
Oregon Dunes Designated Routes Geospatially Enabled PDF (geoPDF) Maps
North OHV Riding Area Map – Siltcoos to South Jetty
Middle OHV Riding Area Map – Umpqua Dunes
South OHV Riding Area Map – Horsfall – Spinreel
- Comply with the regulations for vehicles operating off-highway in the State or Oregon. State of Oregon OHV permit required for off-road vehicle use
- Please bring all necessary equipment including water, portable toilets and fire pans. There is no drinking water, restrooms or fire rings; please bring all necessary equipment including water, portable toilets and fire pans
- Please bring garbage bags; this is a "pack it in, pack it out" facility
- Alcohol is prohibited
- Occupancy check-in time is 2:00 p.m. and check-out time is 1:00 p.m.
- Sound limit at the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area is 93 decibels
- Camp only within designated sites, and within 150 feet of site posts.
- Drown campfires with water; do not burn cans or bottles.
- Standard sites are limited to 5 vehicles/20 people. Group sites are limited to 10 vehicles/40 people
- Site use is non-transferable, revocable and fee is non-refundable.
- Violation of conditions may result in a citation, fine and/or revocation of permit.
Sites are reserveable online at www.recreation.gov or by calling 1.877.444.6777. All Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area developed campgrounds and sand campsites require a digital reservation and payment.
TIP: When reserving a site through Recreation.gov, request the site by access area plus "sand camp." For example, to request a site located in the Umpqua Access area, request or search for "Umpqua Sand Camp." For the Hauser Access area, "Hauser Sand Camp," for Siltcoos Access, "Siltcoos Sand Camp."
Group sites can be reserved online year round at www.recreation.gov or phone 1.877.444.6777. There is a $9 reservation processing fee.
- To help maintain dispersed sand camping, staging and riding opportunities
- To improve visitor accountability through regulation
- To promote resource protection
- To enhance public safety
Find out more about the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area including hiking, camping and beachcombing.
Contact Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area Visitor Center if you have further questions.