Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue. On-going operational updates will be posted here (https://www.fs.fed.us/shutdown) as we are able to provide them.


Research Permits


Reserach Permits on the Superior National Fores and the Boundary Waters Canoe Area

  • All research needs a BWCAW or non-wilderness research permit.
  • New researchers need to submit permit applications 3 months in advance of collecting data
  • Existing researchers need to submit permit applications 2 months in advance (or March/April for a regular May – Sept field season)
  • To start the application process contact
    • Katie Frerker - kfrerker@fs.fed.us | 218-626-4358
    • Jason Butcher - jtbutcher@fs.fed.us | 218-626-4307