Other Permits - BWCAW Research and SUP
Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness Research Permits
Research Permits on the Superior National Forest and in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness
- All research needs a BWCAW or non-wilderness research permit. Research in the BWCAW still requires an entry point permit reservation at recreation.gov
- Existing researchers must reapply on an annual basis.
- Please allow approximately one month for your permit application to be processed.
- To start the application process, please download, complete and sign the appropriate permit below.
Submit Applications To:
Research Permit Applications:
Permits are required for:
- Use of roads not open to the general public for motorized use.
- Use of roads/driveways across National Forest System lands to access private property.
- Snowplowing Forest roads.
Other Superior NF Permits
Permits are required for other uses such as electrical easements, utility lines, oil and gas pipelines and monitoring wells.
Standard Form 299 - Application for transportation and utility systems and facilities on federal lands (pdf).
Please call the local Ranger District Office for more information.