Sitka Ranger District
View of Mount Edgecumbe from Harbor Mountain
NOTICE: The Sitka Ranger District office is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., but closes every business day from 12:00 to 12:30 p.m.
*Over the next two months, District Offices on the Tongass National Forest will be opening their doors as front office staff return from maximum telework. Check with your local Ranger District for more details.
2108 Halibut Point Road
Sitka, Alaska 99835(907) 747-6671
Blue Lake Road - Blue Lake road provides access to Sawmill Creek Campground, Beaver Lake Trail, and Blue Lake Overlook. For current winter status of road gate closures refer to the Travel Management Map (MVUM) link on the top of this page or call 907-747-6671 during business hours.
- Harbor Mountain Road and Recreation Area - For current winter status of the road gates and the Travel Management Area at the top, check the FS Pre-recorded Information Line 907-747-6671 anytime.
- OHV Trail Riding Areas
- Kruzof Island - North Beach users - According to the MVUM, the beach area below mean high tide is the only area designated for open riding. Use the newly designated trail to North Beach. All old OHV access routes to North beach are now closed as well as the dune grass bluff. Riders must stay off vegetated portions of the lower beach to assist with stabilizing the beach and protecting the upper beach meadow which is habitat for sensitive species.
- Kruzof Island Trail (#317590) - Water diversion dips are built on the trail between Mud Bay and Iris Meadows to divert water and to maintain the trail surfacing. Use of All Terrain Vehicles requires reducing speeds to negotiate these two foot deep structures safely. Reflective markers are posted at each dip.
Camping/Cabin Reservation Information - To reserve one of the District's 24 public recreation cabins call the National Recreation Reservation System at 1-877-444-6777 (6 a.m. to 6 p.m. AK time) or make reservations online at www.recreation.gov
To report cabin vandalism, repair needs, other concerns - contact the Sitka Ranger District office at (907) 747-6671 or the cabin manager at (907) 747-4274 or email email@example.com
- Starrigavan Recreation Area - To reserve a campsite or the Starrigavan Creek Cabin, refer to the cabin reservation information above. NOTE: Unlike the District's 23 remote cabins, Starrigavan campsites and Starrigavan Creek Cabin reservations must be made at least 4 days in advance i.e. a Friday night reservation must be made no later than the Monday before.
- Starrigavan Recreation Area - Only in Bayside Loop Sites 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38. To reserve picnic shelters, contact manager at (907) 747-6671.
- Harbor Mountain Recreation Area