Tonto officials add public meeting to acquire comments on environmental findings for Resolution Copper Project and Land Exchange
Release Date: Sep 26, 2019
PHOENIX, September 26, 2019 — For Immediate Release – The Forest Service will host a sixth public meeting on October 10 in Tempe, Arizona, to collect comments on analysis and findings detailed in the Tonto’s Draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS) for the Resolution Copper Project and Land Exchange.
The Tempe public hearing and open house will take place from 5 to 8:30 p.m. in the Hotel Tempe/Phoenix Airport InnSuites located at 1651 W. Baseline Road. The meeting schedule is:
- 5 to 6 p.m. – Sign-in and open house, where visitors can walk around and view information posters and discuss areas of interest with subject matter experts
- 6-6:30 p.m. – Forest Service presentation
- 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. – Public hearing portion, where attendees who signed up upon entering the facility are randomly selected to share oral comments about the DEIS
The Tonto National Forest is among the highest-visited urban National Forests in the country. This is attributed, in part, to the Tonto’s proximity to Phoenix, which has grown to become the fifth most populous city in America. Tempe is located in the east valley section of metropolitan Phoenix.
The Tempe session follows an October 8 meeting in Queen Valley, Arizona. It will take place in the Queen Valley Recreation Hall at 1478 East Queen Valley Drive.
The Resolution Copper project is a proposed underground copper mine near the town of Superior, Arizona. The DEIS describes effects from Resolution Copper Mining’s general plan of operations, and offers five potential alternatives developed considering feedback from the 2016 scoping period.
The DEIS, supporting documents, web form and instructions on how to comment, and additional information are available on the project website at: http://www.resolutionmineeis.us/.
Alerts & Warnings
- Temporarily Closed for Public Safety - Saguaro Del Norte Boat Ramp
- Reminder: NFSR 487 and 487 (A) Temporary Road Closure
- Upcoming Parking Lot Closures for Painting
- Invitation to Bid - Land Auction - 17 Acres
- Bald Eagle Seasonal Closures
- Occupancy and Use Restrictions
- Target Type Restrictions