Step 1 - Submitting a Proposal

When is a Special Use Permit needed?

  1. If you will need to occupy, use, or build on NFS land for personal or business purposes, whether the duration is temporary or long term.
  2. If there is a fee being charged or if income is derived from the proposed use.
  3. If an activity on NFS land involves individuals or organization with 75 or more participants or spectators.

If one of these reasons applies to your activity, see Step 2 – Screening Proposal for Consistency with Forest Plan. If none of these reasons apply, a Special Use Permit may not be necessary for your activity. Please contact the appropriate Forest Service Office to confirm if a permit will be necessary.