Free-Use and Commercial Mushroom Permits

Tr-Forest Mushroom Guide: (Umatilla, Malheur and Wallowa-Whitman National Forests)


Morel MushroomThe Blue Mountain National Forests (the Umatilla, Wallowa-Whitman and Malheur) do not require a free-use permit for individuals harvesting "incidental amounts" of mushrooms. To be consistent with State laws, "incidental amounts" are defined as "possessing or transporting one gallon or less in Oregon and five gallons or less in Washington." Free-use mushrooms cannot be sold or bartered.

Annual Permits are also available again this year. Annual Permits are valid for the calendar year and cost $100.00. As always, commercial mushroom picking is prohibited in wilderness areas.

A government issued ID is required when purchasing a permit.



A permit is not required to harvest, possess, or transport less than one gallon in Oregon or less than five gallons in Washington. Free-use mushrooms cannot be sold, bartered, or given away.

Commercial Permit Rates:

A Commercial Mushroom Permit is required if:

  • You are 18 years or older and harvest mushrooms to sell, or;
  • You harvest, possess, or transport more than one gallon in Oregon or more than five gallons in Washington.

Commercial Mushroom Permits can be purchased at the following rates:

$2 per day, minimum 10 days = $20 (Example: 14-day permit = $28)

Annual Permit
Jan. 1 - Dec. 31

Industrial Camping Permits:
An Industrial Camping Permit is required if you set up camp on National Forest Lands while commercially picking mushrooms. Commercial pickers and buyers are prohibited from camping in developed campgrounds. Industrial Camping Permits are free and can be obtained at District Offices only. Check for local road closures and area conditions.