Frequently Asked Questions

  1. How do I make a campground reservation?
    You can make reservations by calling the National Recreation Reservation Service at 1-877-444-6777 or online at
  2. What is the cost for a developed campsite?
    Forest Service campground fees vary based on location and the type of site you want to reserve.  Campsites are designated as single, double, or group.  When you reserve your campsite on the National Recreation Reservation Service system they will list the cost of the campsite.
  3. Can I take my dog in the National Forest?
    All dogs must be on a leash in all campgrounds, picnic areas, and trailheads at all times.  Pets are not allowed in swimming areas.  No dogs are allowed in Little and Big Cottonwood Canyon, City Creek Canyon, Emigration Canyon, Parley's Canyon (north & east of Mountain Dell Reservoir), Little and Big Willow Creek and South Fork of Dry Creek because it is part of critical watershed for Salt Lake City and Salt Lake County.
  4. When can I ride my bicycle in Millcreek Canyon and what are the regulations for dogs in Millcreek Canyon?
    Bikes are only allowed on upper trails in Millcreek Canyon on even-numbered days. Dogs must be leashed int he entire canyon on even-numbered days and may be off-leash on odd days ONLY.  Dogs must be leashed on all days in developed areas: picnic grounds, parking lots, roads, and housing developments.
  5. How much are the Interagency Passes and where can I get one?
    Interagency Annual Pass $80.00 Annually
    This pass is available to the general public and provides access to, and use of, Federal recreation sites that charge an Entrance or Standard Amenity Fee for a year, beginning from the date of sale.
    Interagency Senior Pass $80.00 Lifetime
    This is a lifetime pass for U.S. citizens or permanent residents age 62 or over.  The pass provides access to, and use of, Federal recreation sites that charge an Entrance or Standard Amenity Fee.
    Interagency Access Pass Free Lifetime
    This is a lifetime pass for U.S. citizens or permanent  residents with permanent disabilities.  Documentation is required to obtain the pass and must be obtained in person.  The pass provides access to, and use of, Federal recreation sites that charge an Entrance or Standard Amenity Fee.
    Interagency Passes are available at most National Forest Offices.  Use the following link to find an office nearest to you.
  6. What are the regulations in wilderness areas?
    Motorized equipment and equipment used for mechanical transport are prohibited on all federal lands designated as wilderness.  This includes the use of motor vehicles, motorboats, motorized equipment, bicycles, hang gliders, wagons, carts, protage wheels, and the landing of aircraft including helicopters, unless provided for specific legislation.  Group sized limits vary depending on the wilderness area; please contact your local Forest Service office for group size limitations.  You can also go to for more informtaion.
  7. How many days can I camp on the National Forest in developed and undeveloped sites?
    In a developed site on National Forest Land you can camp for 7 consecutive days in one location.  For dispersed camping you may occupy any general undeveloped area of National Forest Land for 14 consecutive days in any 30 day consecutive period.
  8. What are the rules and regulations for dispersed camping?
    Dispersed camping is the term used for camping anywhere in the National Forest outside of a designated campground.  Dispersed camping means no toilets, no treated water, and no fire pits are provided.  Dispersed camping is not allowed int he vicinity of developed recreation areas such as campgrounds, picnic area, or trailheads.  There are extra responsibilities and skills that are necessary for dispersed camping.  It's your responsibility to know these before you try this experience.
    • Dispersed camping is allowed within 150 feet from a designated Forest Service Road.
    • No dispersed camping within 100 feet of water (we recommend 200 feet).
    • No dispersed camping in the lower half of Diamond Fork Canyon.
    • No dispersed camping on the east side of Strawberry Road.
    • No dispersed camping in the lower half of American Fork Canyon.  
    • Camp on bare soil if possible, to avoid damaging plants and grass.
    • Do not camp in the middle of a clearing or meadow; try to make your campsite less visible so that other visitors will see a "wild" setting.
    • Do not try to level or dig trenches in the ground at your campsite.  Select a campsite with good natural drainage.
    • Try to use existing dispersed sites whenever possible to minimize impacts.
  9. Where can I get a firewood permit?
    Permits typically go on sale mid June through October and are sold out of our Evanston-Mountain View, Spanish Fork and Heber-Kamas Ranger Districts.  The permit allows firewood cutters to remove downed timber or to cut standing dead trees under most conditions.  Firewood cutters are urged to use caution when driving and cutting in the Forest.  For more information, contact the Evanston-Mountain View Ranger District at (307) 789-3194 or  (307) 782-6555, Bear River Ranger Station (435) 642-6662, Heber-Kamas Ranger District at (435) 654-0470 or (435) 783-4338.
  10. What are the fees for American Fork Canyon and the Mirror Lake Highway?
    All passes are fully transferable between American Fork Canyon and the Mirror Lake Highway Recreation Corridor.
    1 - 3 Day -- $6.00
    7 - Day -- $12.00
    Annual -- $45.00
  11. What are the fees for Millcreek Canyon?
    Millcreek user fee is $3.00/per car, $2.00/senior, and $40.00/yearly pass.  Fees are paid when you leave the canyon.
  12. How do I know when there are fire restrictions?
    Weather conditions vary throughout the year; to find out about current fire restrictions contact your local Forest Service office.
  13. Where can I get maps?
    Maps are available at most Ranger District and Forest Service offices.  You can also purchase maps online at the National Forest Store by going to:
  14. Where can I find out about hunting and fishing regulations?
    All hunting and fishing information can be found on the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources webpage
  15. Can I target shoot in the National Forest?
    Firing a gun is not allowed: a) in or within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site, or occupied area; b) across or on a road or body of water; c) in any circumstance or place whereby any person or property is exposed to injury or damage as a result in such discharge; d) into or within any cave.

    Pursuant to title 36CFR261.50 (a) and (b) the following acts are prohibited on the areas described in this order.  All National Forest System Lands affected are located on the Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest.  This order is effective until further notice.

    1.  Discharging a firearm, air rifle, gas gun or any other implement capable of taking human life, causing injury or damaging any property on or within the boundaries of the Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest System Land at any object, either solid, liquid, vapor, or particulate that will shatter, break apart, fragment, ignite, or explode, that may create a hazard or nuisance (such as Tannerite, televisions, computers, propane tanks, glass bottles, etc.) to any persons, property, public lands, wildlife or livestock. [36 CFR 261.58 (m)] [36 CFR 261.53 (e)].