Mushroom Gathering Permits

    Natural Morel Mushroom   


Please click here for a Mushroom Guide.  A permit is not required to harvest, possess, or transport less than one gallon of mushrooms in Oregon or less than five gallons in Washington. Mushrooms harvested free of charge on national forests are not to be sold, bartered, or given away.

Commercial permits

A Commercial Mushroom Permit is required if:

  • You are 18 years or older and harvest mushrooms to sell, or;
  • You harvest, possess, or transport more than one gallon of any kind of mushroom in Oregon or more than five gallons of any kind of mushroom in Washington.

Valid Photo ID must be in possession while harvesting and transporting mushrooms.

Commercial permit rates

Consecutive-Day: $2.00 per day, minimum 10 days: $20.00 (Example: 14-day permit =$28.00)

Season Permit: $100.00

Industrial camping permits 

An industrial camping permit is required if you set up camp on National Forest lands while commercially picking mushrooms.  Commercial pickers are prohibited from camping in developed campgrounds. Industrial camping permits can only be obtained at District offices. Each District may have different industrial camping requirements, please check with the local district offices for more information.

Know your mushrooms

Each year interest grows in harvesting wild mushrooms from National Forests. Proper identification and determination of whether a mushroom is edible is the responsibility of the picker. Many forest mushroom varieties are poisonous. There are many guide books available to assist with identification. Some forests offer field guides for sale. Your local library, county extension office, and local Mycological Society are good sources of information.

Our word to the wise is: WHEN IN DOUBT... LEAVE IT IN THE WOODS!

 No commercial mushroom picking in the wilderness