Developed Recreation Site Passes and Permits

Many of the Wallowa-Whitman National Forest's developed recreation sites require a recreation pass. There are two types of passes available: a Day-Use pass and an Over-night Camping permit.

Authority for and requirements to charge a fee for a day-use or overnight site was given in the 2005 Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act. As part of the act all revenues from pass sales go directly to maintaining and improving the facility sites and associated trails.  A summary of the "Recreation Accomplishments - Your Dollars at Work" report for the Wallowa-Whitman National Forest can be found on our regional website.

Day Use Passes

A day-use pass is needed to park at developed sites such as improved trailheads and picnic areas. For participating sites in Oregon and Washington this pass is called the Northwest Forest Pass. A list of sites where recreation passes are required for the Wallowa-Whitman National Forest and other sites throughout Oregon and Washington is posted here.

Passes may be purchased at the local Ranger District Office, online at Discover Your Northwest or call at 1-800-270-7504.  To read more about available passes visit the Pacific Northwest Recreation Passes website. 

Interagency Recreation Passes

Interagency Recreation Passes are also available for visitors who travel to different areas in the National Forests, National Parks, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation, and US Fish and Wildlife Service. These interagency passes allow you entry and use at numerous standard amenity fee sites like trailheads, picnic areas and boat launches.

There are 3 types of interagency passes available:

Interagency Annual PassAnnual - available for anyone to purchase.


Interagency Access PassAccess - available for citizens or permanent resident of the United States with a medical determination and documentation of blindness or permanent disability.

Interagency Senoir PassSenior - available for citizens or permanent resident of the United States who are 62 years of age or older.

For more information about the qualifications, fee, areas and conditions of use for the passes, please visit the links above or our National Forest Service website for "Recreation Fees and Passes". For concessionaire operated sites they may or may not honor the Interagency Annual Pass, according to the terms of their current permit.

Camping Permits

Overnight camping permits are also required at several developed campgrounds on the forest. The forest has a range of fee campgrounds from smaller sites by mountain lakes with minimal amenities to more developed full service sites operated by concessionaires. The attached Developed Campground list provides more information about the sites.