Roads and Trails Updates
Please be advised that the Wallowa-Whitman is currently under a seasonal fire restriction requiring people to use fire pits surrounded by dirt, rock, or a commercial ring. Also, campers need to carry a shovel and a gallon of water whenever using a campfire. Find more details in our seasonal restrictions flyer.
The Roads and Trails Updates summarize the current conditions for many of the main forest roads and trails across the Wallowa-Whitman National Forest. Please be advised that conditions are always changing. Please contact your local Ranger District for the most current information on roads and trails.
This report shows many of the main recreation trails that start from designated trailheads. Since the Forest has hundreds of trails, not all of them are shown. The reports for the recreation areas below are the same as the areas shown on the main 'Recreation' page on the left tool bar.
- Blue Mountains North/Grande Ronde River Basin (south and west of La Grande, Oregon)
- Hells Canyon National Recreation Area in Oregon and Wallowa Valley
- Hells Canyon National Recreation Area in Idaho
- Hells Canyon National Recreation Area on the Snake River (please refer to either the Hells Canyon reports for Idaho or Oregon)
- Southern Elkhorn Mountains/Powder River Basin (west of Baker City and Unity, Oregon to Anthony Lakes area)
- Wallowa Mountains/Eagle Cap Wilderness
The Forest Road and Access Report summarizes the current known conditions for many of the main roads across the Wallowa-Whitman National Forest. Most forest roads are only seasonally open and driveable from the late spring through the fall.