Wild & Scenic Snake River - Private Powerboat Reservations
A permit is required to powerboat in the Wild and Scenic Snake River at any time of the year. In the primary season (Friday before Memorial Day through September 10th), you can apply for a permit using the powerboat reservation process summarized below. During the secondary season (September 11th through the Thursday before Memorial Day), a self-issue permit is available at major boat launches on the river.
Applying for a Powerboat Reservation
Private powerboat reservations for use during the primary season are offered through the National Recreation Reservation System (NRRS) at Recreation.gov. NRRS is the same provider of the Wild and Scenic Snake River floatboat reservations.
Reservations can be made on Recreation.gov starting March 1st at 7am Pacific Time.
To make a reservation:
- Go to www.recreation.gov.
- In the search window, type in "HELLS CANYON - SNAKE RIVER (POWERBOAT)"
- Select the type of river permit you want.
- From there you can check available dates and read a description of the river, restrictions, required and allowable uses, and more information about the reservation system.
- You will need a credit card to complete the reservation.
- Your permit will be available to print two weeks prior to your reservation. Print 2 copies (Google Chrome browser works best) - one copy will go in the permit box on site and one you'll keep on your boat.
Reservations can also be made over the phone during the following hours:
TOLL FREE (1-877-444-6777) or TDD (1-877-TDD-6777).
- 10:00 am (EST) to Midnight (EST) - March 1st through October 31st
- 10:00 am (EST) to 10:00 pm (EST) - November 1st through February
- Closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s Day
Please visit Recreation.gov and the Index of Frequently Asked Questions for information on how to use the website, or contact the Hells Canyon National Recreation Area office in Clarkston, WA at (509) 758-0616.