Tips for using the online maps
These maps show the location of recreation sites and areas on the familiar Google Map view, with its map, terrain, and satellite options. They were created by combining public Google Maps with Forest Service recreation areas from this website. To learn more about a recreation area, select the map marker. From there, you can follow the link in the pop-up window to go to the web page for the recreation area.
Please note that panning and zooming does not always show every recreation area at that location on the map. If the map you are viewing shows the whole National Forest/Grassland or some large section of it like a Ranger District or recreation zone, you may need to navigate to a "deeper" level before the individual recreation areas or sites appear.
- For a full list of icons used as markers on the map, see below
- A diamond shaped icon indicates a recreation area with nested recreation areas that show when the icon is 'double-clicked'
- A '+' sign on an icon indicates that the recreation area is modified to support activities other than what is shown on the icon
Other ways to find recreation information on this website.
In addition to navigating to a place via the maps, you can also find recreation area information by:
- Selecting a recreation activity from the list of activities under Recreation in the left hand navigation
- Using the right hand “Areas & Activities” box to find an area
- Searching for sites by name using the upper left search box
About these Maps ~ Stay Safe
- These maps are provided for trip planning and orientation purposes only. They are not intended for navigation. Please be sure to obtain a good quality, detailed topographic map before heading out into the forest/grassland, particularly in the backcountry and Wilderness areas.
- Make local inquiries about road and trail conditions in remote areas. Some roads are impassable following severe weather.
- Accuracy of the road and terrain information from Google Maps has not been verified.
- Always seek private landowners’ permission before using or crossing their lands.
- Geographical Information Systems (GIS) data and product accuracy may vary. They may be: developed from sources of different accuracy, accurate only at certain scales, based on modeling or interpretation, incomplete while being created or revised, etc. Using GIS products for purposes other than those for which they were created may yield inaccurate or misleading results. The Forest Service reserves the right to add, correct, update, modify, or replace GIS products without notification.
Recreation Map Legend
Recreation Area Map Markers
|Forest Service Shield
|Intermediate Parent Group
|Beaches & Dunes: Beachcombing
|Beaches & Dunes: Dog sledding
|Beaches & Dunes: Sand Play
|Beaches & Dunes: Tidepooling
|Bicycling: Mountain Biking
|Bicycling: Road Cycling
|Camping & Cabins: Cabin Rentals
|Camping & Cabins: Campground Camping
|Camping & Cabins: Dispersed Camping
|Camping & Cabins: Group Camping
|Camping & Cabins: RV Camping
|Climbing: Mountain Climbing
|Climbing: Rock Climbing
|Fishing: Estuary Fishing
|Fishing: Ice Fishing
|Fishing: Lake and Pond Fishing
|Fishing: River and Stream Fishing
|Hiking: Day Hiking
|Horse Riding & Camping: Horse Camping
|Horse Riding & Camping: Horse Riding
|Hunting: Big Game Hunting
|Hunting: Small Game Hunting
|Hunting: Game Birds/Waterfowl
|Nature Viewing: Birdwatching
|Nature Viewing: Viewing Plants
|Nature Viewing: Viewing Scenery
|Nature Viewing: Viewing Wildlife
|OHV Riding & Camping: OHV Camping
|OHV Riding & Camping: OHV Open Area Riding
|OHV Riding & Camping: OHV Road Riding
|OHV Riding & Camping: OHV Trail Riding
|Other Activities: Caving
|Other Activities: Hang Gliding
|Other Activities: Target Shooting
|Outdoor Learning: Interpretive Areas
|Outdoor Learning: Visitor Centers
|Outdoor Learning: Visitor Programs
|Picnicking: Group Picnicking
|Rocks & Minerals: Gold Panning
|Rocks & Minerals: Rockhounding
|Scenic Driving: Scenic Driving
|Water Activities: Boating - Motorized
|Water Activities: Boating - Non-Motorized
|Water Activities: Scuba Diving
|Water Activities: Swimming
|Water Activities: Windsurfing
|Winter Sports: Mushing/Skijoring
|Winter Sports: Skiing/Snowboarding
|Winter Sports: Sledding/Tubing
|Winter Sports: Snowmobiling
|Winter Sports: XC skiing/Snowshoeing