Motor Vehicle Use Map

An illustration showing the different types and signs of National Forest RoadsDriving conditions on National Forest roads are much different than those encountered on city streets or state highways. Forest roads range from two-lane paved roads to dirt tracks winding through the brush. Most National Forest roads are single-lane, gravel, low-speed roads.

Some roads are closed to protect wildlife or because they are not safe for travel. You can find out about road closures by using the Motor Vehicle Use Maps and by calling the local ranger station.

The Willamette National Forest Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM) displays roads and trails that are open to motorized travel on the Willamette National Forest. Routes open for motorized use may not always be signed on the ground. It is the user’s responsibility to use the MVUM to determine whether a route is open for motor vehicle use. If a Forest Service road or trail is not on this map, public motor vehicle use is prohibited. The MVUM will be updated annually to correct mapping errors or discrepancies, and to update travel decisions.

In addition to identifying roads and trails open for motorized use, the MVUM includes additional information that is important to motorized vehicle users.

The map identifies:

  • Uses allowed by vehicle class (highway-legal vehicles and off-highway vehicles),
  • Dispersed camping corridors, where special regulations regarding motorized vehicle use are in place,
  • Seasonal road or trail use restrictions, and
  • General travel rules and regulations.

The MVUM is a black and white map with no topographic features. It is best used in conjunction with a Forest Visitor Use Map, Ranger District Map, or other topographic map. The MVUM is free to the public and hardcopies are available at Willamette National Forest offices.

Willamette National Forest MVUM Maps

Willamette National Forest MVUM maps are available from the links below. We have divided the forest coverage into ranger districts. The maps are geospatially enabled PDF (geoPDF) maps. When you open a geoPDF, you can find locations, measure distances, and add location markers. You can also copy coordinates to the clipboard for use with a web mapping service. To use a geoPDF on your computer you must have Adobe Acrobat Reader DC downloaded. Once the map is open in Acrobat Reader DC you can view the geospatial measuring tools by choosing Tools > Measure. You can also load these maps on to any GPS-enabled mobile device using an app such as Avenza Maps (But we recommend carrying a paper map as backup).

Please note that these maps are large PDFs designed to be printed at 44"x34".

District Motor Vehicle Use Maps:

Detroit Ranger District

Sweet Home Ranger District

McKenzie River Ranger District (North)
McKenzie River Ranger District (South)

Middle Fork Ranger District (North)
Middle Fork Ranger District (South)

Frequently Asked Questions

What does a MVUM show me?
Can I keep using older MVUMs, even though the newer version is now available?
Are there any restrictions on OHVs when using Forest Service Roads?
Does the MVUM also show non-motorized trails?
What do you mean by vehicle class?
What are the rules for motorized dispersed camping?
Are there road and trails route marker signs on the ground?

What does the MVUM show me?

  • Motorized use includes but is not limited to highway-legal and non-highway-legal vehicles and both 2 and 4-wheel drive vehicles. It does not include motorized over-snow vehicles (such as snowmobiles).
  • Designation details, including vehicle class, time of year, and any motorized access for the purpose of dispersed camping (camping in locations other than campgrounds).
  • Roads where only highway-legal vehicles are allowed due to safety considerations.
  • All National Forest Service roads and trails open to public motor vehicle use.

Motor vehicle access may occur on routes not shown on the MVUM for the purpose of limited administrative access by Forest Service personnel; for fire and law enforcement emergency purposes and; by persons authorized by a written special use permit or contract from the Forest Service.


Can I keep using older MVUMs, even though the newer version is now available?

While most roads and trails on older MVUMs do not change, you should print off or pick up a copy of the latest MVUMs to ensure you have the most up-to-date version of the map and don’t inadvertently use a road or trail that is no longer open for motorized use.


Are there any restrictions on OHVs when using Forest Service Roads?

Off-highway vehicles (OHVs) may use any road that is designated open for all vehicles. However, if commercial hauling is occurring on a road open to all vehicles, as indicated by a warning sign indicating “Trucks” or “Log Haul”, OHV use is prohibited on roads behind those signs for everyone’s safety. 


Does the MVUM also show non-motorized trails?

No, the MVUM only has roads and trails that are open for motorized use. The Forest Visitor Map shows non-motorized routes, including mechanized (e.g., mountain bike) trails, hiking, and horse trails. Visitor Maps are available for purchase at Forest Service offices.


What do you mean by vehicle class?

Vehicle class refers to certain categories of motorized vehicles. The following are typical vehicle class route designations:

  • Roads open to highway-legal vehicles only (licensed)
  • Roads and trails open to all motor vehicles, including unlicensed non-highway-legal vehicles such as quads, dirt bikes, sand rails, etc.

It's important to understand that routes and areas shown open to certain vehicle classes do not mean they are necessarily maintained for or suitable for travel using those vehicles. It simply means it is legal to use them. For example, many roads may be open to all motor vehicles. This designation includes passenger cars, although it may not be prudent to drive this type of vehicle on the route due to the condition of the surface or during inclement weather. Please check with the local Ranger District Offices for more information.


What are the rules for motorized dispersed camping?

Dispersed camping (camping outside developed campgrounds) with motor vehicles may occur only in those areas indicated on the MVUM. In such designated areas, motor vehicles may travel up to 300 feet off of the road to access and use established dispersed campsites. 

Non-motorized dispersed camping may occur at any already established dispersed campsite unless it is posted as closed. All visitors are discouraged from creating new campsites and are encouraged to use ones that already exist and to travel on existing roads and tracks to and from campsites.


Are there road and trail route marker signs on the ground?

Routes designated for motorized use may not always be signed. Routes designated for motorized uses will be identified on the MVUM. The MVUM is an enforcement tool to ensure individuals are on the correct route. It is the responsibility of the user to determine if they are on a route designated for the motor vehicle being used.



The U. S. Forest Service released a Travel Management Rule in November 2005 for managing motorized use on National Forest lands. This rule provides a framework for each National Forest to identify and designate roads, trails, and areas suitable for motorized use. Use of motor vehicles is prohibited outside of the designated system.

One outcome of this planning effort was publication of a Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM) for each forest nationwide. The maps show the designated road, trails, and areas for motorized use.

Once the MVUM is published, motor vehicle use on the national forest will be allowed only on designated routes or areas displayed on the map.

The goal of the travel management process is to create a safe and sustainable motorized use system that provides recreational opportunities and appropriate access while protecting forest resources.