Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM)

The Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM) is a requirement of the Travel Management Final Rule and reflects travel management decisions on each forest and displays National Forest System routes (roads and trails) or areas designated open to motorized travel. The MVUM also displays allowed uses by vehicle class (highway-legal vehicles, vehicles less than 50 inches wide and motorcycles), seasonal allowances and provides information on other travel rules and regulations. Routes not shown on the MVUM are not open to public motor vehicle travel.

Routes designated for motorized use may not always be signed on the ground but will be identified on the MVUM. It will be the public's responsibility to reference the MVUM to determine designated routes for motor vehicle use and will be updated annually, in January, to correct mapping errors or discrepancies and update travel decisions.

The MVUM is a black and white map with no topographic features and is best used in conjunction with a Forest Visitor Map or other topographic map. The MVUM is free to the public at each local Ranger District office and available online. 

Bighorn Motor Vehicle Use Map

Printable PDF Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM):

Bighorn National Forest MVUM Map (.pdf, 2.65 mb, front and back sides) (dated April 24, 2023).

Motor Vehicle Use Map (Avenza):

Bighorn Motor Vehicle Use Map (Avenza) - Georeferenced motor vehicle use maps are available as free downloads with the free app from Avenza Systems, Inc. You can use the maps based on your location when GPS is enabled and available. The maps allow you to measure distance and area, find coordinates, open a current view in Google maps, plot place marks, add notes, enter your own data, and add photos as attributes. See the georeferenced maps page for more information.

Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I get a MVUM?
Maps will be posted on this website and all National Forest Service websites. Paper copies of these maps will be available free of charge at each of the Forest Service offices in Sheridan, Buffalo, and Greybull, Wyoming. Other partners and distribution locations may be developed over time to help disseminate maps. Georeferenced motor vehicle use maps are available as free downloads with the Avenza Maps app

How do I print the MVUM?
A full-size version of the MVUM is 34" x 44" and cannot be printed on conventional home printers. A full-size version can only be printed from a large plotter. Many local engineering and survey business can print the map for a nominal fee.

To be readable, only a portion of the MVUM can be printed on 8 ½" x 11" paper using home printers. With Adobe Acrobat, use the “Print Current View” function to print the view on your screen. It is recommended that the legend box, as well as applicable special designations, be printed to aid in interpretation of the MVUM.

What does a MVUM show me?

  • The map displays all NFS roads, trails and designated areas allowing public motor vehicle use.

  • Motorized use includes but is not limited to Motorcycles, ATVs, and 4-wheel drive vehicles.

  • Designation details, including vehicle class, time of year, and any motorized access for the purpose of dispersed camping (camping in locations other than campgrounds).

  • The MVUM also shows roads where only highway-legal vehicles are allowed because of user safety considerations.

  • Motor vehicle access may occur on routes not shown on the MVUM for the purpose of limited administrative access by Forest Service personnel; for fire and law enforcement for emergency purposes and; by persons authorized by a written special use permit or contract from the Forest Service.

Does the MVUM also show mechanized and non-motorized trails and over-snow vehicle uses?
No, a visitor use map or recreation opportunity map will provide information on motorized routes as well as non-motorized routes, including mechanized trails, hiking, and horse trails. Over-snow vehicle use is exempted from designations on the MVUM. These maps, once developed, will be available for purchase at FS offices.

What do you mean by vehicle class?
By vehicle class we are referring to certain categories of motorized vehicles. The following are typical vehicle class route designations:

  • Roads open to highway legal vehicles only

  • Roads open to all vehicles (licensed and unlicensed)

  • Trails open to vehicles 50 inches or less in width (ATV, motorcycle, etc.)

  • Trails open to all vehicles (trails may be rugged and narrow- intended for jeeps)

  • Trails open to motorcycles only (single track)

It's important to understand that routes and areas shown open to certain vehicle classes does not mean they are maintained for or suitable for travel using those vehicles. It simply means it is legal to use them. For example, many low standard roads may be open to all motor vehicles. This designation includes passenger cars, although it may not be prudent to drive this type of vehicle on the route due to the condition of the surface or during inclement weather. Please check with the local Ranger District Offices for more information.

What do you mean by a season allowance?
Some routes or areas may be open only during certain times of the year for various reasons such as to reduce wildlife disturbance, protect users from unsafe or impassable conditions and to reduce impacts to other resource values.

Are there road and trail route marker signs on the ground?
Routes designated for motorized use may not always be signed. In some cases, a route marker may exist at the entrance of the road/trail with symbols indicating which classes of vehicles are allowed. Routes designated for motorized uses will be identified on the MVUM. The MVUM is an enforcement tool to ensure individuals are on the correct route. It is the responsibility of the user to determine if they are on a route designated for the motor vehicle being used. MVUM's will be developed for each forest nationwide. It is not only a tool for motorized users, but also a consistent and standardized law enforcement tool.

Where can I find out more about motorized travel on the Bighorn?

Call one of our offices between 8:00 am and 4:30 pm Monday through Friday (except legal holidays):

  • Buffalo 307.684.7806
  • Greybull 307.765.4435
  • Sheridan 307.674.2600

Send an email to