Conferences & Meetings
The "Conservation Education Strategic Plan To Advance Environmental Literacy: 2007-2012" provides a comprehensive road map to our future. Developed by a diverse team of Forest Service employees and valued partners over a two-year period, the plan articulates our mission and vision; outlines the strategic goals and objectives, and the means and strategies to accomplish them; and aligns our efforts to the Forest Service Strategic Plan-2007-2012 [pdf].
The CE strategic plan articulates the mission of our program: "The Conservation Education Program works with partners to coordinate development and delivery of high-quality, science-based education about forests, grasslands, and related natural resources to pre-kindergarten through 12th grade students and their educators, in both formal and nonformal settings."
The Rocky Mountain Region's Center for Design and Interpretation (CDI) is a full-service team bringing together the design disciplines of Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Engineering, Interpretive Planning and Graphic Illustration to meet your needs. CDI's multi-disciplinary team is capable of taking your project from concept through implementation. We take a holistic approach to site development, fully integrating interpretive planning and facility design within our sustainable solutions.
CDI's mission is to provide high quality services that conserve resources, provide for public enjoyment and education, and are flexible and responsive to forest management. CDI employees will serve Districts and Forests as a trusted ally, providing creative ideas and alternatives to best meet their needs.
CDI has developed a thorough guide to conducting integrated interpretive services and conservation education plans. Go to their website for resources, and recent examples of completed plans.
Strategic Planning Documents
- Conservation Education Strategic Plan to Advance Environmental Literacy, 2007-2012 (pdf, 12 pages, 2.2 MB) (Printed strategic plans are available in limited quantities from the Washington Office - Conservation Education program.)
- Conservation Education Strategic Plan Logic Model (pdf, 9 pages, 44 kB)
Conservation Education in the Forest Service - 1999 (pdf, 58 pages, .9 MB)
- Conservation Education Task Force Report and Recommendations -- Vision-to-Action Strategy Vision to Action Strategy - 1998 (pdf, 25 pages, 334 kB)
- Chugach National Forest Conservation Education Strategy (2005) (pdf, 37 pages, 3.6 MB)
- Tongass National Forest Interpretation and Conservation Education Strategy (2004) (pdf, 53 pages, 1.2 MB)
- Bitterroot National Forest CE Strategy (2001) (pdf, 14 pages, 254 kB)
- Flathead National Forest CE Strategy (2001) (pdf, 4 pages, 141 kB)
- Northeastern Area CE Charter (2001) (pdf, 3 pages, 105 kB)
- Northeastern Area CE Strategy (2001) (pdf, 14 pages, 193 kB)
- Northern Region CE Strategy (2001) (pdf, 7 pages, 178 kB)
- Southern Region CE Strategy (2000) (pdf, 4 pages, 27 kB)
- Gila National Forest CE Strategy (1999) (pdf, 16 pages, 363 kB)