Special Places

Wilderness Regulations

The following federal regulations, state laws, and Forest Orders apply to Wilderness Areas administered by the Klamath National Forest.  Please see our Alerts and Notices page for additional fire restrictions or temporary road and trail closures due to wildfire.


  • A valid California Campfire Permit is required to use a camp stove, barbecue or have a campfire. Be sure your fire is completely extinguished with water before leaving it.
  • Campfires are prohibited in the Caribou Lakes area of the Trinity Alps Wilderness and the Devil’s Punchbowl area of the Siskiyou Wilderness.


  • Camping in any one location for more than 14 consecutive days is prohibited.
  • Camping within the Klamath National Forest for more than 30 days in one calendar year is prohibited.

Equipment prohibitions:

  • Bicycles or wheeled carts are prohibited.  
  • Hang gliders and drones (UAVs) are prohibited.
  • Possessing or using motorized equipment of any type is prohibited.
  • Storing unattended equipment, personal property, or supplies for longer than a 24-hour period is prohibited.

Fishing and hunting:

  • A valid California Fishing License is required for all persons 16 and older to fish in California.
  • Hunting, taking or killing wildlife is illegal except during hunting season with a valid California Hunting License.
Group size limits effective August 1, 2020:
  • The maximum group size permitted in the Trinity Alps Wilderness is 10 persons.
  • The maximum group size permitted in the Marble Mountain, Russian, and Siskiyou Wilderness is 15 persons.
Resource Protection:
  • Damage, removal or alteration of any archeological or cultural site is illegal.
  • Disposing of debris, garbage, or other waste is prohibited. Pack out everything that you packed in.
  • Disposing of human waste within 100 feet of any lake, stream, spring, campsite or trail is prohibited.
  • To protect water quality, pack or saddle stock may not be held, hitched, or tethered overnight within 200 feet of any water source.

Wilderness permits:

  • A wilderness permit is required for overnight trips in the Trinity Alps Wilderness.  Self-issue wilderness permits are available at a kiosk outside the Salmon River and Scott River Ranger Station in Fort Jones, CA.   Wilderness permits are also available at several Ranger Stations and Fire stations on the Shasta-Trinity National Forest.