Highland Scenic Highway Audio Tour
An Audio Journey Along a National Scenic Byway
Buckle up and get ready for a guided journey through one of the Monongahela National Forest's most iconic landscapes. The Highland Scenic Highway Audio Tour takes you through the history, culture, and science behind many of places on this stretch of road that traverses the mountainous terrain of the Allegheny Highlands and Plateau. Along the way you will hear the spirit of West Virginia through the music and the voices of the residents of this land as they recount their favorites stories and memories of this nationally recognized Scenic Byway.
Experience the Highland Scenic Highway
Of course, the audio tour is only half of the experience. This tour was made with the intention that it would accompany the sounds of a road trip, like a cool wind blowing through an open window while driving at a leisurely pace. The tour was designed to accompany a drive across the highway, starting from the Gauley Ranger station. It follows stops along the highway and provides context for the sights along the way. There's no sense in rushing, though. Interpretive signs at stops along the tour provide even more color to these stories and encourage you to pause and enjoy the experience at your own pace.
Supporting the Audio Tour
If you would like a physical copy of the audio tour with the highest quality audio, CD's can be had at any of our ranger stations for a donation.
Your additional support helps us maintain and expand this experience. The Highland Scenic Highway audio tour was produced in partnership between the USDA Forest Service, Monongahela National Forest and West Virginia Department of Transportation, Division of Highways. Funding was made available through the Federal Highway Administration’s National Scenic Byway Program, administered by the West Virginia Department of Transportation, Division of Highways. USDA is an equal-opportunity provider, employer, and lender.
Highlighted Stops on the Tour
- Introduction (0:00)
- Richwood (02:37)
- Gauley Ranger Station (04:47)
- North Bend Picnic Area (09:51)
- Summit Lake (12:58)
- Falls of Hills Creek Scenic Area (16:11)
- Cranberry Glades Botanical Area (18:57)
- Cranberry Mountain Nature Center (23:05)
- Mill Point Federal Prison Camp (26:10)
- Cranberry Glades Overlook Trail (32:49)
- Williams River Scenic Overlook (38:21)
- Big Spruce Scenic Overlook (40:06)
- Black Mountain Fire Trail (44:21)
- Williams River Valley (48:24)
- Honeycomb Rocks Trail (53:38)
- Little Laurel Scenic Overlook (55:20)
- Tea Creek Meadow Trail (58:55)
- Red Spruce Knob Trail (01:01:11)
- Red Lick Scenic Overlook (01:03:50)
- Shearer Run and Elk Mountain(01:05:26)
- Credits (01:08:33)