MVUM Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I get an Motor Vehicle Map (MVUM)?

Paper copies are available free of charge at each of the Forest Service offices in Chadron, and Halsey, Nebraska, and Pierre, Wall, and Hot Springs, South Dakota. See the links above to obtain free electronic copies.

How many MVUM's are available for the Nebraska National Forests and Grasslands?

There is one map for the each of five Ranger Districts.

How do I print the MVUM?

A full-size version of the MVUM is 36” x 44” and cannot be printed on conventional home printers. A full-size version can only be printed from a large plotter. Many local copy shops or engineering and survey businesses can print the map. To be readable, only a portion of the MVUM can be printed on 8 ½” x 11” paper using home printers. With Adobe Acrobat®, use the “Print Current View” function to print the view on your screen. It is recommended that the legend box be printed to aid in interpretation of the MVUM.

What does a MVUM show me?

The map displays all National Forest System roads, trails and areas designated for public motor vehicle use. Driving off designated roads and trails is prohibited (36 CFR 261.13). The map shows what kinds of vehicles are allowed and where. Designation details include vehicle class, time of year, and motorized access for the purpose of dispersed camping (camping in established locations other than campgrounds).

Does the MVUM also show non-motorized & over-snow vehicle uses?

No. A visitor map will provide information on over-snow and non-motorized routes, including trails, hiking, biking and horse trails.

What do you mean by vehicle class?

By vehicle class we are referring to size or type of motorized vehicles. The following are typical MVUM vehicle class and route designations: Roads open to highway legal vehicles only Roads open to all vehicles (licensed and unlicensed) Trails open to vehicles 50 inches or less in width (ATV, motorcycle, etc.) Trails open to all (full size) vehicles (trails may be rugged and narrow- intended for 4x4s) Trails open to motorcycles only (single track) Routes and areas shown as open to a vehicle class does not mean the road is maintained for or suitable for travel using those vehicles.

What do you mean by a seasonal allowance?

Some routes or areas may be open only during certain times of the year to reduce wildlife disturbance, protect users from unsafe or impassable conditions, and to reduce impacts to other resources.

Are there road & trail route marker signs on the ground?

Our goal is to have most, if not all, of our motorized travel routes signed at primary junctions. Routes designated for motorized uses will be identified on the MVUM. It is the responsibility of the user to determine if they are on a route designated for the motor vehicle being used.