Travel Management

Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM)

The MVUM is a requirement of the Travel Management Final Rule and reflects travel management decisions on each forest. The MVUM displays National Forest System (NFS) routes (roads and trails), or areas designated open to motorized travel. The MVUM also displays allowed uses by vehicle class (highway-legal vehicles, vehicles 50 inches or less in width and motorcycles), seasonal allowances, and provides information on other travel rules and regulations. Routes not shown on the MVUM are not open to public motor vehicle travel. Routes designated for motorized use may not always be signed on the ground but will be identified on the MVUM. It will be the public's responsibility to reference the MVUM to determine designated routes for motor vehicle use. The MVUM will be updated periodically, to correct mapping errors or discrepancies and update travel decisions.

The Motor Vehicle Use Maps show the roads and trails that are authorized for motorized use. Roads and trails not shown on these maps are not authorized for public motorized use.

The MVUM is a black and white map with no topographic features. It is not a stand alone map and is best used in conjunction with a Forest Visitor Map or other topographic map. The MVUM will be free to the public at each local Ranger District office. The MVUM is available on this website and sections of it may be printed from your home computer.

2022 Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM) 

These maps are geo referenced pdfs.

If you do not already have a copy of Adobe Reader, you can download a free copy from Adobe

Conejos Peak Ranger District East MVUM
Conejos Peak Ranger District West MVUM
Divide Ranger District East MVUM
Divide Ranger District West MVUM
Saguache Ranger District East MVUM
Saguache Ranger District West MVUM

Each map with West title has the motorized vehicle use rules and regulations on it. Also, there is a QR code that you can scan with your smart phone, which will link you to the RGNF webpage containing georeferenced PDF MVUM maps. Download the fee PDF maps with Avenza.

It is recommended that the legend box, as well as applicable special designations, be printed to aid in interpretation of the MVUM.

Reminder, electric bicycles, also called e-bikes are not allowed on closed roads or non-motorized trails and cannot be used for off-road game retrieval. Electric bikes are considered motorized vehicles.

Frequently Asked Questions