Recreation passes help to keep over 400 miles of multi-use trails well maintained and open to the public. By purchasing a pass, you help us increase the quality of all visitors' experiences at recreation areas around the forest and to enhance the protection of your national forest's natural resources.

Who Needs a Pass?

Trail passes are required for off-road motor vehicle use on all of our off-highway vehicle (OHV) trails. All operators and passengers age 16 and older are required to have their own passes. Passes must displayed while vehicle is in operation on the trails. 

All other trail uses do not require a trail pass.


Types of Passes Available

Two types of passes are offered:

Seasonal Pass: $35.00

The seasonal pass is good for riding throughout the entire trail season. The trail season generally runs from mid-April until mid-December.

3-day Pass: $20.00

The 3-day pass is good for a three-day ride. A three-day period is defined as from midnight (12:01 a.m.) of the first day punched to midnight of the third day (11:59 p.m.).

Due to low usage, single day passes are no longer available. However, passes are still required of all riders.  

How to Get a Pass

Passes can be obtained one of three ways:

Passes ordered online can takeup to ten business days for processing and delivery to customers’addresses.

Using Trail Passes

Decal Passes

The Wayne is switching from digital to decal passes for the 2020 trail season. All passes must be displayed on visitors’ vehicles, helmets, or clothing while riding motorized trails.

Designated Trail Use

The Wayne National Forest trails are multiple use trails. Likewise, Trail Passes are also multi-use. Mountain bikes are allowed to use authorized trails. Motorized trails are marked with orange blazes. Horse trails are marked with gray blazes. Hikers are welcome on all trails, but are encouraged to know all uses available on the trail before beginning.

All-terrain Vehicle and Off-highway Motorcycle Specific Information

All ATV and OHM riders age 16 and older are required to have a pass when riding trails on the Wayne National Forest. Riders under 16 years of age must be accompanied by a valid licensed motor vehicle operator if riding ATVs, who is at least 18 years of age or older when riding trails (who has a pass).

Passengers riding an ATV also need a Wayne National Forest pass. A valid state driver's license is required when the person will be "operating" the vehicle, but not as a passenger.

For more information, please see our full list of rules for ATV and OHM riding.

Pass Restrictions

Passes are not transferable among riders. The pass holder may ride an ATV/OHM forest-wide on the appropriate designated trails during the trail open season.

America Beautiful Passes (Annual, Military, 4th Grade, Senior, Access and Volunteer Passes) cannot be used when purchasing a Wayne National Forest trail pass.  Ohio Golden Buckeye passes are not accepted.

Frequently Asked Questions

Where does the money from trail passes go?

Approximately 80% of the fees collected are retained by the Forest for use “on the ground." Approximately 15% is retained by the Forest for administrative costs, 5% is deposited into an account in the Regional Office to cover their program administration costs.  However, often the Regional Office has returned the 5% portion back to the Forest for project use.

Why do I need to purchase a trail pass?

Many of the nation’s federally managed recreation areas are still facing large maintenance backlogs from years of diminishing budgets in recreation. Realizing the large funding gap between what is needed to effectively manage these recreation areas and what is currently being appropriated and its consequences (primarily the lost of facility investments and sub-standard customer service), Congress passed the 1996 Omnibus Rescissions and Appropriations Act (Public Law 104-134) which approved the Fee Demonstration (Fee Demo) project. The President signed it into law in March of 1996. This law authorizes the U.S. Forest Service, as well as other federal land management agencies to charge fees and keep 80 percent of the funds for reinvestment in designated recreation areas.

How are Passes Enforced?

Forest Service personnel and local law enforcement officials will be periodically checking trailheads, parking areas, and trails for compliance. The pass should be visibly displayed on the ATV/OHM to minimize the need to stop and check for passes. Passes are issued to the person and not the vehicle Passes are non-transferable.

Where can I provide feedback on passes and their use?

We welcome feedback through our website email address: r9_wayne_website@fs.fed.us.