Cache la Poudre Wilderness
- Ticks - check yourself frequently during the spring and summer.
- Rattlesnakes can be found locally, so watch where you reach and step.
- Rivers run fast and high during spring run-off. The fast currents can be hazardous.
- Hypothermia is the rapid cooling of core body temperature.
- Be alert for symptoms of overexertion and chilling.
- Afternoon lightning storms are common spring and summer. To avoid danger, hike early in the day and if caught in a storm, move out of high, open areas.
- Boil water before drinking or use another recommended method of purification to kill Giardia and other hazardous organisms.
- Carry first-aid supplies and emergency equipment.
- Sunscreen is recommended at high altitude.
- Bad weather conditions may appear suddenly and summer may transform to winter in minutes.
- Be prepared. Check our safety page for other general guidelines.